general questions about turbos/stock block

fivespeedsteed

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 17, 2003
Richmond, VA
so my original plan was to do a h/c/i on my fox and keep it simple, just a driver, but now im thinking a little more might be desired.

what numbers do h/c/i and small turbo foxes make? general question i know but if you run a small turbo around 8psi or so does that put you at 425 ish im guessing?

i know people running totally stock 5.0's with vortech superchargers, but with a hci is that approaching the breaking point of the stock block?

who makes the most complete turbo kit? hellion? if i do a small t3/t4 turbo i figure it will spool fast, but will be more usefull on the street and track because unlike a charger it wont be making power at 2 grand or so when i launch (im not planning on running drag slics, or anything like that?

im pretty set on trying to use my stock shortblock, its got 106k on it and has been maintained, im not sure if im willing to drop a grand or 2 on a nice block.

ideas? this will be a fun streetable weekend car, and by the time i piece this together ill have cobra brakes, and a road and track box.

edit: i do remember hellion kits being cheaper, are these kits easy to piece together or is it worth it to just get a nice block that will hold the power and go all out

• Sponsors (?)

I've thought about this a lot also and I've decided Im going to go with a 351 based motor then turbo that so I'm not pushing the limits of the stock 302 block because once I've gotten used to 500 or so hp im going to want more haha.

Im getting ready to purchase a turbo for my 5.0 now im going with on3 perfromance kit there about $1500 ...I hear alot of good and some bad about them..But to be honest with you i hear alot of good and bad about all of them...:shrug:..My car is going to be simply Stock short block and cam.1.7 cobra roller rockers..GT40 heads mild work done to them,Trickflow Track heat intake,70mm TB,42lb injectors,255 lph fuel pump...Im going to run 3.27's its an AOD with a mild stall convertor 2500-2800 rpm...Im going to use the summit cat back exhaust..Im looking for about 400 or so rwhp..im going to run 8-10 psi and use a SCT switch chip for tunning and a A9L computer...This is in a 87 GT convertible so im hoping for low 12's street car..it will see the track too...From what i hear people tell me is that i will be faster then 12's but i would be happy at that number for a street car...Then down the road it i crack the stock block i will go with a dart or maybe a 351 based motor thats down the road...:nice:

The stock block doesn't necessarily just split once you hit 450hp. My engine is making 420 at the crank. I have a friend who put down 535 at the wheels which works out to about 640hp after drivetrain loss. His car blew up one motor, and all it did was bend a rod. He was making that power with a junkyard Mountaineer motor with an ebay 70mm turbo and a DIY setup. He was running 10.20s with it. I think a big big part of it is the tune and how high you rev the motor. I have another friend on carbedford.com who's building a 700hp stock block 347 right now. Yeah, he's on borrowed time but again, it has a lot to do with the tune and how high you rev. Another thing to consider is stroked vs. non stroked making the same power. I would trust a turbo 302 making 500hp a lot longer than i would trust a 347 making 500hp, just because of the added stress on the cylinder walls from the piston to rod ratio and thinner walls. Ultimately what you can do is what my other friend is doing...he has a stock block 347 that he put a Novi 2000 on. It's making right at 500hp at the wheels but he's already building a Dart block as he gets the money so either 1) it'll be ready when his stocker blows up or 2) it'll be ready and he can sell the stock block 347 before it blows and recoup some money.

A stock block isnt gonna break at a certain horsepower rating, its all in the tune.. Ive run over 500 for years on a 302 block, it has a very conservative tune. The problem is one small hiccup with that kinda power on a stock block its cya later 302... My car is tuned by Anderson Ford, ive talked to those guys about it, ive talked to DSS, ive talked to CHP they all say if your tune is right, and you absolutley avoid detonation, it will be fine!! But honeslty 500-550 at the wheels is my limit, if i want more later ill get a dart block..

Ultimately what you can do is what my other friend is doing...he has a stock block 347 that he put a Novi 2000 on. It's making right at 500hp at the wheels but he's already building a Dart block as he gets the money so either 1) it'll be ready when his stocker blows up or 2) it'll be ready and he can sell the stock block 347 before it blows and recoup some money.

Im doing the same thing lol

so if i wanted to use my stock short block, a simple hci, probably gt40x heads and a stage 2 tfs cam what sort of turbo kit would i be looking at? on3? id love to piece one together but i dont know allot about turbos

so if i wanted to use my stock short block, a simple hci, probably gt40x heads and a stage 2 tfs cam what sort of turbo kit would i be looking at? on3? id love to piece one together but i dont know allot about turbos

Any info you want go to the Corral and go to the turbo section there is a good question and answer section by the owner of on3 Performance...The kit with all hot side and intercooler for a fox body 5.0 is $1475.00,,he sell the Pro M maf that goes into the inlet tube for $195.00 and the down pipe to y-pipe into the stock cat back for 149.00 so for a complete kit thats...$1800 plus shipping say another $100 so for less then $2k you have a complete turbo kit...I see guys with bone stock motors from oil pan to TB making over 400 HP with a turbo not bad IMO...:nice:

Stock shortblock here, putting down 525rwhp on 11 psi with the 70mm B&G kit. Shifting it at 6500rpm. I plan on turning the boost up as soon get off my ass and work on the car this year! Haven't touched it since unloading it off the trailer last outing back in November!!

Clutch is slipping, so i'm going to put a disc in it and keep a better eye on the adjustment. For some reason the firewall adjuster(steeda micro click) has been moving during track outings launching on slicks. I've got everything(FB Performance manual valve body, UCC converter,etc) to do the 4R trans swap....but i want to go quicker than the et in my sig with the stick yet!

so whats a small turbo pushing 8 pounds with a simple h/c/i put down about 500?

Yeah i think you should see about 450 or so rwhp...From what i read there is no need for a cam on a turbo build when using a stock block the stock cam will push you way past the stock black can handle...Even an intake and heads with about 8-10 psi you can see over 400 rwhp on a stock motor and turbo..not bad:)

ARP bolts yes..MLS head gasket i hear just use 9333-pt1 Fel pros better to have a weak head gasket so that blows before the block cracks thats what im hearing and reading....Just use plain FEL pro's....

Not bolts, STUDS, and yea theres alot of people afraid of using a MLS gasket, but if your tune is on then you shouldnt worry about detonation. I used MLS with good success after i blew 2 head gaskets because of problems with the deck of my block.

Not bolts, STUDS, and yea theres alot of people afraid of using a MLS gasket, but if your tune is on then you shouldnt worry about detonation. I used MLS with good success after i blew 2 head gaskets because of problems with the deck of my block.

Yeah i meant studs ....I just think in my case i would rather make my head gaskets the weak point...:shrug: Since its a stock bottom end....