Geting Butt Kicked By Z28!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sw33tLoo

May 9, 2012
hey everybody i recently bought a 2001 gt that i have been wanting for the longest time and i have a bbk intake 75mm throtle body and trick flow neck and i am still geting burned by a full car lenght by Z28 an SS camaro and pissing me off! any performance or parts tips/advice?

• Sponsors (?)

i've had 2 LS1 cars those things are beast even stock,

you have a few options,
#1 blower probably the best option.
#2 4:10 gears and heads & cams would be the most expensive way to go.
#3 125- 150 shot of nitrous and a full dyno tune. the cheapest route. not practical though,
#4 do what i do and avoid LS1 cars all together LOL.

Reactions: 1 user
A car length is actually not bad considering your mods. Some gears should be more than enough to even it out. Gears + full exhaust + tune = him seeing YOUR tail lights.

People over-hype the LS1 way too much. Yes, they're awesome motors but they're not as mighty as some people make tem out to be. I have no problems with stock-lightly modded LS1's from a roll, from a dig it's even worse.

You have about a 100hp disadvantage to start with. The bottle and a set of tires is the best route in terms of bang for your buck.

A car length is actually not bad considering your mods. Some gears should be more than enough to even it out. Gears + full exhaust + tune = him seeing YOUR tail lights.

People over-hype the LS1 way too much. Yes, they're awesome motors but they're not as mighty as some people make tem out to be. I have no problems with stock-lightly modded LS1's from a roll, from a dig it's even worse.

From what I have had from experience with LS1's is that our cars keep up all the way until you shift into 3rd gear, then they start rolling away...

OP I would just start saving up for a FI build or if you want to stay NA save for heads and cams like Johnnyt03gt suggested..

Heres a vid I found on Youtube of a guy with Heads, cams and other mods, pretty impressive imo.

Ive always had camaros and Now i have an ls1 corvette Its coing to cost you alot of money to keep up with a ls1 Z28. Its cheaper to sell your car and buy a newer mustang then it would be to do themods your going to have to do to keep up with it. Trust me then after the mods are done you will decrease the longevity of that 4.6. Even a camaro with an LT1 engine from 93 to 96 still have about 280 at the flywheel and roughly 200 at the wheels. Not to mention about 225 torque. Those camaro corvette engines are no joke.

what a shock...the Camaro/Chevy owners think the LS1s are the best choice and suggest selling the car or expensive upgrades, while the Mustang owners offer constructive options to the OP to get where he wants to go...

Reactions: 1 users
Ive always had camaros and Now i have an ls1 corvette Its coing to cost you alot of money to keep up with a ls1 Z28. Its cheaper to sell your car and buy a newer mustang then it would be to do themods your going to have to do to keep up with it. Trust me then after the mods are done you will decrease the longevity of that 4.6. Even a camaro with an LT1 engine from 93 to 96 still have about 280 at the flywheel and roughly 200 at the wheels. Not to mention about 225 torque. Those camaro corvette engines are no joke.
So modding a ls1 wont hurt the longevity of the car but modding a 4.6 does?
Right you forget the 4.6 is one of the most reliable engines out there. Please dont spout bs bc the ls has a power and displacement advantage. Yet it has a horrible rearend unlike the mustang...

Here we go camaro vs mustang fight I own a mustang cobra a 98 corvette and a 95. Z28. There's a reason an ls1 guy would say that the engine is a monster. Alli was saying the amount of power he's going to need would be cheaper to sell and buy a newer mustang. Doing power adders decrease the longevity of an engine no IFs ands or butts. Adding 50 hp to an engine and doing nothing internally will cause a bigger problem then he may want on his hands.

Here we go camaro vs mustang fight I own a mustang cobra a 98 corvette and a 95. Z28. There's a reason an ls1 guy would say that the engine is a monster. Alli was saying the amount of power he's going to need would be cheaper to sell and buy a newer mustang. Doing power adders decrease the longevity of an engine no IFs ands or butts. Adding 50 hp to an engine and doing nothing internally will cause a bigger problem then he may want on his hands.

If I sold my car and bought a "newer" 3V 2005 GT, the cheapest of which is around $14-$15K (with well over 100k miles might I add), I would have put in an additional $8K into the 05 on top of what I would get for my car. So you're basically saying that it would take over $8K in mods to outrun a stockish LS1?????????? LOL

Like I said, I have no problem hanging with or pulling a car or 2 on stock to lightly modded LS1's. I've probably spent around $1500 or so in performance mods.....

50 horse and you're worried about something internally? :scratch: lolz

There are plenty of guys on here that will vouche for reliable supercharging kits that they DD. Any mod that you do to your car is inherenlty going to sacrifice is drivablility... Whether its an Camaro or a Mustang. I actually have to tear into my car tomorrow to tighten down some header bolts that have worked themselves loose. Do I cuss getting long tubes? Hell no. Has it affected my cars streetability/drivability. Sorta.

It's all part of the game....:stir:

So if you sold a 2002 gt for $7000 and bought a 03 Cobra for 10,000 That wouldnt be a better route than Spending $1500 to $3000 on a $7000 car not to mention yes you will decrease the longevity of the engine with upgrades. Must be an age thing How old is everyone in this post? Most people are like go ahead put in headers do 410s under drive pullies But dont spend any extra money on a stronger clutch thats going to blow out or bearings that cant handle the extra power on the bottom end. So go ahead put when ever you want on your car then two months from now he will be posting How do I diagnose a blown headgasket.

So if you sold a 2002 gt for $7000 and bought a 03 Cobra for 10,000 That wouldnt be a better route than Spending $1500 to $3000 on a $7000 car not to mention yes you will decrease the longevity of the engine with upgrades. Must be an age thing How old is everyone in this post? Most people are like go ahead put in headers do 410s under drive pullies But dont spend any extra money on a stronger clutch thats going to blow out or bearings that cant handle the extra power on the bottom end. So go ahead put when ever you want on your car then two months from now he will be posting How do I diagnose a blown headgasket.

LOL 03 Cobra for $10K.....LOL

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.