Getting New Nitrous System Need Help With Fuel

lewis2121

Oct 23, 2015
South Texas
Hi Mark here. I am new to the site and this is my first post. I have owned nothing but Chevy muscle cars my whole life and have come over to the dark side by getting a 1989 notch back. I want to maybe start going to the track instead of just going to car shows all of the time. The car has been bracket raced for the last 3 years and runs consistent 10.9 quarter times and has never had anything other than pump gas put in it. It has a 347 stroker with a 1972 ford block (extensive machining and main girdled). AFR heads, all forged internals running 11 to1 / 11.25 to 1 compression. I do not have any experience with nitrous but I want to start. I will be putting a nitrous system starting with 100 jets and stepping up to 150. My question is, would I benefit much by using better fuel on the motor alone? (im looking at VP101) and will that fuel be good enough for the nitrous use? Another option is using a stand alone fuel system and maybe run the VP C16 and continue to run the pump gas on the motor alone. What does everyone think? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Best option is the standalone system with 116. It will give you the best tuning curve. Start with plugs that are 2 heat ranges colder than what you're running now. I'd also take out 2-4* of timing to start with(100shot). Then check plugs as soon as you're done making a pass(do NOT drive all the way back to pits and check. You can get a false reading. Check them on the return road). If the plugs look rich then slowly add more timing. You could run better fuel in it n/a and possibly play with the timing a little and see if it picks up any. If it doesn't..well then why bother running anything but pump fuel:). Also ummm...your block is going to be on the "endangered list" at those power levels. A girdle doesn't do anything for increasing block strength. FYI. You're going to be pushing around 600+rwhp with the nitrous and that block is going to be pushed beyond its breaking point. It may last for awhile it may go boom quickly but it will break.

Reactions: 1 users
you didn't mention what your fuel system, intake, and ignition system are. Is this a carb or EFI setup? That will dictate what type of nitrous system to get. Do you have a tune on the car?

First thing is as mentoned upgrading your fuel pump and either injectors or jets in the carb along with what advice already given.