getting ready to buy an 02 GT.. but it's a California car.. need help on smog pump

ok.. i'm getting ready to buy a 2002 Mustang GT. The only problem i am running into is the smog pump. I want to remove it but am unsure of how to or what to do. This is going to be a street performer stang..

One of my buddies told me i can't remove it or it will make the computer malfunction.. i know i can buy a reprogramer and reprogram it as if there wasn't any smog pump on it.. please help with any info you have..

military_stang

• Sponsors (?)

There is no mechanical smog pump. That's a 5.0L Mustang thing only.

Why would you want to remove it anyway? Even if there was a pump there is no real benefit to removing most emmissions controls on a near stock car. This isn't the 70's where emmissions controls sucked.

Yes it is illegal, but guys do it anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it as you can make TONS of power with the factory emmissions equipment still in place. It doesn't rob power like it did in the 70's and 80's

military_stang said:
So i guess the question is, should i buy this California car???

military_stang
:track:

That would kinda depend...you havent said anything else about the car. If the smog pump issue was the only concern you had then id say go for it (as long as the price is right and it doesnt have a questionable past). Be sure to check carfax and all that good stuff. And if ya buy it be sure to post pics for us :D

I don't think . 4.6 have belt driven air pump. cali car or not. That was a 5.0 thing. what you 'll have with Cali car that others don't have is them nasty 6 catted mid-pipe. But most people replace them with other mid pipe, so that you have choking pipe for an inspection.

From what i know, most modern smog eqipment does not rub that much of power. where as good ol' 70's eqippment did. So if thats only concern, and your not in Cali, I would get it, and get a o/r Mid pipe or catted mid pipe. 2 cats are FAR better then 6 catts..

whats the big deal if its a cali car or not?

leave the smog **** on there, unless youre making a track only racecar, i see no reason to remove any of it, it doesnt hinder performance one bit. and youll be better off when cali smog laws become federally mandated for the whole US.

mity2 said:
I don't think . 4.6 have belt driven air pump. cali car or not. That was a 5.0 thing. what you 'll have with Cali car that others don't have is them nasty 6 catted mid-pipe. But most people replace them with other mid pipe, so that you have choking pipe for an inspection.

From what i know, most modern smog eqipment does not rub that much of power. where as good ol' 70's eqippment did. So if thats only concern, and your not in Cali, I would get it, and get a o/r Mid pipe or catted mid pipe. 2 cats are FAR better then 6 catts..

I though it was illegal for you to put new exhaust on to replace the 6 catts?? if i were just to buy aftermarket, then it would be all good then wouldn't it?? and what would that do as far as emisions... i mean as far as passing it???

military_stang

military_stang said:
Don't get me wrong, it's a nice car.. but i have been discussing with my step dad if i should buy a California car in the first place...

Why not? There is no difference.

My car is a Massachusetts car and came with the NO CHARGE "california emmissions package". It's stated right on the window sticker.

Mustang5L5 said:
Why not? There is no difference.

My car is a Massachusetts car and came with the NO CHARGE "california emmissions package". It's stated right on the window sticker.

massachusetts is a california emmisions state.. I live in mass but the stang is a Ohio car (federal emmisions) the only differences I can tell is the PCM calibration

military_stang said:
I though it was illegal for you to put new exhaust on to replace the 6 catts?? if i were just to buy aftermarket, then it would be all good then wouldn't it?? and what would that do as far as emisions... i mean as far as passing it???

military_stang

It is illega in Cali to swap anything thats in place of OEM exhaust part I think. Donno about where you are. If you have to worry about sniffer test, then get mid pipe of your choice(i perfer catted myself), and swap 6 catted pipe back on to pass inspections.
If you have no emission inspection, then your golden

in CA you just cant swap out the cats, they have to remain stock and unmodified. you are allowed to use any catback and shorty headers that have a CARB EO number.

NO 4.6L motor has a belt driven smog pump. the 96-98 cobras had an electric air pump. there is nothing to pull off that really can draw any power, unless you think that A/C isnt your friend.

my car is a federal emissions car and literally all that is different is teh PCM calibration. i used to work at a CA smog referee station and i smogged my car a bunch of times. theres no difference between the cars.

723477_40_full.jpg

723477_41_full.jpg

723477_38_full.jpg

here she is.. this is my future baby.. now i just need to make it back from my deployment

military_stang
:flag: