Getting Ready To Paint Interior Plastics...prep Questions

boostfrk

10 Year Member
Aug 30, 2011
Colorado
I'm getting ready to freshen up by black interior by respraying everything black. I picked up cans of SEM Landau Black and adhesion promoter today at a Sherwin Williams Automotive Supply store. They didn't have the SEM Plastic Prep (38354) but they did have Klean Strip Wax and Grease Remover and claimed it would accomplish the same thing. From what I read about the SEM Plastic Prep it basically a wax and grease remover that removes all contaminates prior to painting. Would I be OK using this alternative, or should I look elsewhere to find the specific SEM Plastic Prep? I get a substantial discount at SW so it benefits me to purchase there.

My plan is to paint the pieces as follows:

1. Wash pieces with warm water and Dawn soap
2. Rinse very well and let dry
3. Apply wax and grease remover
4. Wash pieces again with warm water and Dawn soap
5. Rinse, rinse again and let dry
6. Apply adhesion promoter
7. Apply light coats of paint (probably 2-3 coats)

Anything I'm missing?

I wasn't planning to paint the dash top, gauge cluster bezel, steering column covers, upper speaker grills, etc. I was planning to paint the knee bolster (under the steering wheel), glovebox, and console. But the more I think about it perhaps I should consider painting everything, even the pieces I wasn't originally planning on just for consistency sake. It's the same color, but there may be a noticeable difference between freshly painted plastic pieces and pieces that are 22 years old and have been faded by the sun, etc.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

The wax and grease remover will do the same as the other. Same product just different brand name. Its all basically Naptha. I use naphtha when I prep before paint.
-Wash it with the Dawn soap or any dishwashing "grease cutting" detergent will do fine. This water soluble cleaning will remove dirt,food, coffee, ect,ect, that solvent based wax and grease remover won't.
-Dry it then clean it with the wax and grease remover.
-Next lightly scuff it with a red scotch brite pad. ( highly recommend this)
-Blow the dust off with compressed air and clean it again with the wax and grease remover
-Wipe it with a tack rag to remove any dust and your ready to apply the Adhesion Promoter.

Good Luck

So...since everything was out except the dash I decided to replace the heater core. Might as well.

I'm going to go ahead and paint the dash as well, just for uniformity. I've seen a lot of people paint the dash while it's in the car, and I guess that would work if everything else is out. But, how do you wash and rinse the dash while it's in the car?

I just finished painting my entire interior, I'm reassembling tonight so I'll post pics. I used the dupli color vynol and fabric paint. This is what I found worked:

1) wash and let dry
2) wipe down with dupli color prep pads
3) adhesion spray/ primer
4) apply paint

I started with the back lower pieces by the back seat to figure out learning curve. I lightly scuffed these pieces and the sheen was a little off. After that I did the process above minus the scuffing and the whole car cam out awesome. When 2nd and 3rd coating do it about 5 min part, I can't believe how it looks. I kept the dash in place removed everything I could, glove cover, vents steering column etc and taped everything off. I even did my door panels, the entire interior looks better then factory black.

Good luck

Easy actually disconnect your battery to avoid any kind of shorts. Hot water and joy, then repeat the joy takes the armorall right off. Mask off the windshield clean with the wipes and paint away. Came out awesome and saved a ton of time. I will post some pics later.

I too just did my dash. I used a bucket of warm water with dish washing liquid. Washed it down with a wash cloth. Then I scuffed it using the same water and a red scotchbrite pad. After I dried it I wiped it off with Windex. Yup Windex. I taped it and papered with newspaper and sprayed it with adhesion promoter 2x. Then VHT Dark Satin Grey which matches the column trim and instrument bezel almost perfect. I didn't want high cheap looking gloss thats why I used Satin. After a few days I rubbed it with a rag and some Armor All...perfect! Exactly what I wanted. The Smoke Gray dash parts like glove box and fuse cover I used the same process and painted them with Late Model Resto's SEM 87-89 Smoke Gray which was also a perect match and has just the right sheen with out the Armor All treatment. Couldn't be happier. (oh and by the way, my dash was factory moulded in Titanium which was odd, Ford painted it too, and the reason I used Windex instead of Prep-Sol is that the Prep-Sol was strong enough to melt the factory paint!)

The wax and grease remover will do the same as the other. Same product just different brand name. Its all basically Naptha. I use naphtha when I prep before paint.
-Wash it with the Dawn soap or any dishwashing "grease cutting" detergent will do fine. This water soluble cleaning will remove dirt,food, coffee, ect,ect, that solvent based wax and grease remover won't.
-Dry it then clean it with the wax and grease remover.
-Next lightly scuff it with a red scotch brite pad. ( highly recommend this)
-Blow the dust off with compressed air and clean it again with the wax and grease remover
-Wipe it with a tack rag to remove any dust and your ready to apply the Adhesion Promoter.

Good Luck

That is the method I use, I also highly recommend the Red Scuff pad....