Ghia conversion to hardtop?

James75

Jan 14, 2008
SD
Ghia window conversion to hardtop?

Hey guys, since I've got the whole car pretty much torn apart and doing body work...I was wondering if my 75 Ghia would accept the regular size coupe window instead of the half opera window/half plastic cover? It looks like I could just grind the clip holder rivet things off the top and weld close the other holes and bolt the other ones on.

I would really like to do away with that partial covered top. Finding a set of windows in the bone yard is a whole other thing, but before I go looking I was just wondering if anyone knows.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks, looks like I'll go hunting for the windows and trim pieces. Ford used a smaller window held in by a metal bracket from the inside. Then on the outside a plastic piece covers the metal bracket up to the the small window, then the plastic piece is covered with the material on the roof. I hope that makes sense. I wish I could post a pic, but my card reader seems to have died.

Ahhh I see. I've had 3 Ghias but only parted 1 and never bothered to pull the 1/4 glass and stuff. The other 2 Ghias were really nice and I never had a reason to pull them apart. I always thought it was a partially covered std. window. :shrug: Learn somthin' new every day.:D

Well if you can't find a pair, I've got a pair of std. 1/4 glasses I yarded out of a '76 coupe. I should have nice trim pieces too. My memory is failing me right now....was the interior 1/4 trim the same?

Here is one of the pictures I took of my Ghia. I'll see if I can find another picture, if you need to see more details.

Ghia_Window.jpg

The car is in the shop right now, but I can get more pictures once I get it back. The headliner is still out until I get a new vinyl top put on.

I changed my Ghia into a regular coupe, as far as I can rember you need:
-Coupe quarter windows
-Coupe quarter trim
-Coupe interior trim panels
-Can-O-Bondo, cause Ford did not cheese the roof welds LOL

Everyone changes a Ghia into a regular coupe because................wait...no I won't say it:D

I changed my Ghia into a regular coupe, as far as I can rember you need:
-Coupe quarter windows
-Coupe quarter trim
-Coupe interior trim panels
-Can-O-Bondo, cause Ford did not cheese the roof welds LOL

Everyone changes a Ghia into a regular coupe because................wait...no I won't say it:D
Hehe, ya. Thanks guys for the feedback. The search is on...

Dano, if you still have the glass and trim, I'm interested.

Ok James, here's what I have on hand at my place. I may have a set of different color over at my dads. Forgot to crawl up in his shop's attic and take look. Didn't know of color was a big issue or not. The 1/4 glass are clear, not tinted. The two 1/4 stainless pieces both have little tiny dings in them, easily worked out if you know how to massage stainless. They are really small. I'll also look over at dad's tomarrow for nicer 1/4 stainless pieces. Anyways here's the pics.

MIICoupestdwindowsandtrim.jpg

MIIquartertrimdings.jpg

Now you see that red arrow in the top pic? I wasn't 100% sure if you needed these. I'm thinking that they are more for the rear window trim more than the 1/4 window. If you need them, fine, if not no biggie. The arrows in the second picture show the very small dings. Other than that they are pretty nice pieces. Flip me an E-mail and lemmie know what you think. :)

Glad they made it there unharmed and that they are working out for ya. Always makes me nervous to ship glass, even thought these were in their frames. I bought a flywheel a while back from jmarks99 and somehow they managed to bust of one of the alignment pins for the clutch assy. John packaged it up very well even inside dense foam designed for a flywheel and they still managed to do it. Figure that one out. So yeah, I get nervous shipping breakable stuff.
But glad it got there and you're happy with it. :nice: