Girly Question

Ok... I do most of my own work on my car, 01GT. Have the basic bolt-on's, pulleys, cold air, Flowmasters. I just recently put on a BBK offroad Xpipe and have noticed that I have a lot of exhaust smell and also some blackish smoke.. I had it in the shop (warranty stuff, which they cancled because of the bolt-on's) and the guy said that my # 2 and #8 coil were out. No missing or backfiring. I am wondering if this has anything to do with it?I have also gotten some bad gas a few times in town. Used an additive to dry it out. HELP!!! My pony seems sick...A friend last night told me it could be my rings... ahhhh...
 
I have them already but haven't done it yet because the guy that told me said my clutch was going out 2 years ago, so I am a bit weary of doing all that work when it might not be true. She isn't showing any signs of have them out either, no missing or backfiring. And thank you about the girl thing. I am the prissy'ist tomboy you would ever meet.
 
Stacey said:
Ok... I do most of my own work on my car, 01GT. Have the basic bolt-on's, pulleys, cold air, Flowmasters. I just recently put on a BBK offroad Xpipe and have noticed that I have a lot of exhaust smell and also some blackish smoke.. I had it in the shop (warranty stuff, which they cancled because of the bolt-on's) and the guy said that my # 2 and #8 coil were out. No missing or backfiring. I am wondering if this has anything to do with it?I have also gotten some bad gas a few times in town. Used an additive to dry it out. HELP!!! My pony seems sick...A friend last night told me it could be my rings... ahhhh...

Hey Stacy, I think you car is fine. After the X-pipe install you will notice more exhaust smell and sometimes condensation from the tail pipes b/c you removed the cats. You don't have coil paks on your car, they are the coil-on-plug type. You didn't mention if your cell light was on so I'm assuming it's not. You could always take the #2 and #8 plugs out and have a look at them, if like the guy say's "your coils are out" you should be able to tell. If in doubt remove another plug from a cylinder that is working OK, and compare them, they should all look the same with a nice light tan color on the electrode.
 
would the exhaust smell be present in the cabin? maybe its just the fact that the x pipe isnt tightened down enough...i had that problem...almost pucked in my car....good thing its leather :D
 
Yes thank you about the coil paks vrs the coil over. I knew that, but I must not have made myself clear enough on that part. I think that you might be right about the exhaust smell. I purchased the milelimators, and I had some problems getting the pipe to match up perfectly with the muffler. I have a friend in town that does exhaust. I called him this morning and he is going to take a look on tues. Thanks for your suggestion!!!
 
Stacey said:
Yes thank you about the coil paks vrs the coil over. I knew that, but I must not have made myself clear enough on that part. I think that you might be right about the exhaust smell. I purchased the milelimators, and I had some problems getting the pipe to match up perfectly with the muffler. I have a friend in town that does exhaust. I called him this morning and he is going to take a look on tues. Thanks for your suggestion!!!
:nice:
 
change the coils

If you are having problems with any of the coils change them, I had one of my coils explode, they are like $100 a piece though, make sure to check the joint at the header to the X pipe, bbk's sometimes don't fit perfectly and leak