Going back to the 1/8th mile Friday...

Speeds8erM-1 said:
Were you hotlapping the car? It sounded like it bogged after it spun? You should be running a better ET and MPH than that. What RPM are you shifting at?
I think the reason it bogged was because I completely released the clutch a little too fast with not enough gas. I was shifting at about 4750. It doesn't make any power past that. I know this car could go low 9s if I can practice getting out of the hole quicker on street tires.

• Sponsors (?)

Try shifting it higher, I know a 5.0 doesnt like to rev but 4750 is LOW. Try 5000-5200 on the stock tach and see how it does. Even if the power drops off, you need to shift after power peak to fall down to the right RPM to use the most power going down the track. If it works, start trying a slightly higher 1-2 shift than the 2-3 shift and see how it does.

Alright. I might hit the track again sometime late in the fall before it closes and try some of these techniques. Maybe I can get that low 9 that I've wanted. :shrug:

Thanks for the tips. :)

Speeds8erM-1 said:
It should help, most guys overrev stock HCI 5.0's, rare to see one underreved LOL It depends on how off (or on) your tach is also.
The only reason I don't rev much over 5k (on my stock tach) is because I can feel it run clear out of pull past that. I don't know if this is normal or not, but I can really notice it.

You want to shift after the peak... You want to be in the highest average powerband which would put your peak somewhere in the middle so long as the power doesnt just drop off.

Scenario: You make peak power at 5000 RPM, 250 hp. At 4000 you make 200, at 4500 you make 225, at 5000 you make 250, at 5500 you make 225...

You shift it at 5000 and it drops to 4000. Your using the power band between 200 and 250. Now if you shift it at 5500 your using the power band from 225 to 225, and 250 sits right in the middle.

This is a VERY LOOSE way of puting it, but its been my theory for a while. Why hit a gear right when your cars running its hardest. Let it get past its hardest as it starts to fall off you hit the gear and gets you into the next gear at a higher RPM, making more power. Some might agree some might not... but my stock cammed car loves to be shifted at 5600-5700 and I have proven to lose a couple mph shifting at 5400 even though its done making power at this point.

Now waiting too long and having the car really nose over is bad for it as well. Its wasted time if the car isnt pulling up top anymore. Its all about finding what works for your car! When my motor was stock, 5300-5400 is what it liked!