Gonna go look at this Mustang today, what bad things to look for?

mavmavv

Nov 21, 2007
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/594112066.html

The minor oil leak could be a blown rear seal, right? What other things could be bad? I know about the alternators going out and everything. I believe its a MAF car since its from CA, the guy I talked to is a college student and sounds like he was more interested in making it pretty than making it fast. Which is great for me since it gives me a solid base.

Any other trouble spots I should look for?

• Sponsors (?)

Could be the RMS, oil pan gasket, or valvecover causing the leak. Those are the most common anyway. Wouldn't have a MAF until 88, unless it's been converted. The ad didn't mention it, so I'd think it's still speed density. I'd also take a look at the headliner and around the sunroof for signs of any leaks. Since it says it's an auto, see how it feels when it shifts. Does it feel like it's having any difficulty shifting? Does the trans fluid have a good clean red color, or is it dirty? Does it smell burnt? Does the oil reak of gas? Coolant nice green, or is it rusty? Open up the overflow and look down inside it for garbage, that will sometimes give an indication of the condition of the rest of the cooling system. Torque boxes still look solid? Any abnormal noises? That's really all I can think of off the top of my head right now, but there's probably a ton more. Just go over everything.

Be sure to look for rust as well, around the hatch, spoiler, door jams, ect.

Don't be afraid to get down on the ground and take a peak at the underbody, bring a flash light, you'll never know what you might find.

They did.

Like sammich said, look underneath. Also check for bondo, bubbles in the paint, rust. Chit that's missing like the vacuum tree. Check the fuse box. Make sure it goes into every gear easily. Make sure the body is decently straight. Every 5.0 warps somewhat but you can tell a car that's had the front tires of the ground. Make sure the fenders match the year model (I had that problem before and someone else on here did too).

Fuel pump and heater core two of the biggest pain in the balls jobs, out of the way, nice. Oil leak could be any number of things, rear main, pan gasket, but hopefully valve cover. Check the alignment of that hood/ fenders, look around the core support for overspray or bent up edges, maybe in an accident. Sits nice, though, definitly stock appearing, and you don't find that much anymore.

looks like a really crappy hood... something you can talk him down with.. the corner is cracked and its warped

look at the underside of the hatch....very prominant rust-prone area right at teh back fold/weld/whatever it is

Met up with him. The damn thing looked like it was just driven off the showroom floor. It was that clean, I didnt even try to talk him down. The thing is worth a ton more than 3500. Its an amazingly clean car, only downside is its Speed Density, but that can be easily converted since I have a MAF 5.0 right now.

I pick it up Thursday :D

Ill have a photoshoot and post lots of pics.

that looks like a pretty sweet find! i'd jump all over that for that price! something like that, minus any engine troubles, would be WELL over double his asking price around here...... good luck!