Got a raise today

blksn955.o

Founding Member
Mar 15, 2002
st.louis mo 314
Went into work today happy that the week went by fairly quick and it was friday. Boss goes "its time for your yearly review". Get a raise to the next pay grade:D :eek: . I did not expect it at all.

Another bad arse piece of news is I will be able to promote up again in May:) :banana: :rock: .

I will plan to start looking in May to see what is opening up but will prob. stay in my dept. at least 3+ months after that since it is a BAD time...the last thing I want to do is promote myself to a layoff/loss of job. It just kinda sucks since my dept/group is really cool...just small so advancing within the dept. is almost non-existant.

• Sponsors (?)

Im a union iron worker, we get them every six months for four years, then you top out at 39.76 right now on the check with 3.25 an hour going into vacation which you get evry 3 months UNTAXED, that is the money I use for the stang :) plus full medical and stuff and the excitment of working and welding on huge buildings (72 story high rise in LA right now :) )

I had a buddy growing up whose father was an union iron worker...made damn good money. One of the still worthwhile unions to boot from what I can tell.

My mother is in the machinists union for Boeing...well her paychecks still say Mc.Douglas. My grandfather who was in upper mngmnt at Douglas (one of the orig. employee's after WWII) tried to talk me into working there for years but I wanted no part of it, after the last strike and the Son selling to Boeing he said I made a wise choice in the long run and sold every single stock he had. Horrible union...just pathetic they are sooo chitty. It is a shame really.

I am glad I work for a fairly good employer, great bennies (not paid but a good choices and options), pension(sp?), retarded 401k (300% match), great vacation, flexible hours if needed, pay for undergrad school and 80% of masters classes. It is a VERY hard time for the industry I am in but even those that are getting laid off/let go the sev. package is very fair, sucks it is happening but at least it is not a "thanks bye".

I'm in the steel workers union. I don't know if its the whole thing or just our plant union but it sucks. Back about 5 years ago they let the company break the contract take a 1.50 from us. it was either "take the cut or we'll close the doors" which a lot of people think was bs. We will soon be coming up on making what we made 5 years ago. Then what a suprise the contract is back up again at the end of the year I think. I think our union president at the time got a little something out of the deal.

Not only that if you go to them about something nothing ever happens. Me and my buddy were cheated out of money doing a more paying job. We went to the union and it was "put on hold" thats been over a year now. I know they told a couple people that went to them about stuff to just drop it we ain't fighting no more. WTF kinda **** is that?

Congrats on the raise sorry for my rant