Got an estimate for bodywork, what do you think?

I got an estimate today from a local Mustang restorer for sheetmetal work. They said labor would be about $65 an hour and gave the following time estimates for the repairs

(the repairs being cutting out and welding in new sheetmetal)

Floorpans (full length) 10 hrs per side
toeboards 1.5 - 3 hrs per side
quarterpanels (full) 10 hrs per side
tail light panel 3 hrs
trunk floor 5 hrs
cowl vent repair 6 - 12 hrs
radiator support
and fender apron 4 hrs

if my math is right thats 70 hrs total and without tax, that comes to $4550.00

What do you think? Seems a tad high to me, BUT they have been in business for quite a long time and do have a good reputation. I had a previous quote from a small body shop in orlando that was less than half this amount, but I have been concerned about service after the fact from them.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think it is too unreasonable. There are some things that are a bit high and others that are low. The labor rate is what surprises me. I am used to seeing $65-75 in the Bay Area, but here in SoCal you can find shops at $36. I am surprised that Florida is that expensive.

You're mentioning the major jobs that need to be done on one of these cars in fairly bad shape. I would venture to say that's a pretty reasonable quote, IMO. The cowl vent repair seems especially reasonable based on what I have been told the job entails. Good luck.

Timmy said:
6-12 hours the cowl seems high to me because of that fact on a 69, it unbolts. No spot welds to drill out.

Tim

Not exactly true. The top cover unbolts and comes off, but that still leaves very limited acccess to the bottom corners of the cowl area where the rust likely would be. It would be extremely difficult to weld in new metal down in the cowl on a 69 without some cutting. Granted, with the top cover off, the cosmetics are not a big concern so it would be an easier repair than an earlier model. Depends how bad it is how long it would take, but I still think the 6-12 range is not unreasonable--how many hours would a early model take for a cowl leak repair? R&I windshield, R&I the top cover, R&I both fenders, drill out a bunch of spot welds, re-weld, etc. It would be a lot of work.

The going rate for bodywork is around $48 an hour, so the rate is a bit high. I think the time estimates are good, if not a bit low for some. I've seen quarter panels with 24 hours into them. I have close to 80 hours into full floorpans, toe boards and torque boxes on my '70 (but I am somewhat limited tool-wise, no plasma cutter or anything like that) and they're not done.

FallujahMedic said:
Thats the price including parts. I have them all here ready to go. About the cowl, the big deal with it is that there are no replacement pieces available for it so any repair panels have to be cutom fabricated, hence the longer time estimate.

where in central florida do you live??? i also live in central florida (orlando area) and have used a few body men locally...just curious who exactly u are using :)

The thing that sucks for us is there is no money to be made by shops doing work for us. This is why the cars go in for paint and sit forever. A good bodyman can knock out a good 2k of work a day, as opposed to 3-5k for weeks worth of work on a classic. The numbers are by the book, but insurances don't pay that. That is "their rate", but insurances get fat discounts. Averages I have seen are generally about 65 for bodywork, and 75 for mechanical(putting in a new rear end after huge accident).I wouldn't be too scared of the other shop because they are cheaper. see if you can poke around a little and see what their work looks like before you commit.