Got my intake today (Saleen/Vortech)

blackened88lx

Aug 9, 2006
Connecticut
Well, I finally got the first piece to my h/c/i combo that I'm doing this winter. I found this Saleen/Vortech in the classifieds section on here. It was lookin a little shabby after many years of use and there was some paint left over from it being painted yellow at one point. I took it to work and sand blasted it quick. I still couldn't get all the old paint off. I'm going to paint it gloss black and polish the surface on top where it says Saleen/Vortech. I will post pics when it's complete. Here's a couple pics.
upper4.jpg

upper3.jpg

lowerintake2.jpg

Attachments

• upper4.jpg
    upper4.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 484
  • upper3.jpg
    upper3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 663
  • lowerintake2.jpg
    lowerintake2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 304
  • Sponsors (?)

Nice! I have a Vortec intake. Same thing except it is missing the Saleen logo. Just says Vortec on it. I ran it for years on my 90 L.X. Worked good. Now the whole motor is going into my 88 G.T. Vert. They are pretty hard to find now. I remember when they retailed for $650.00 new. They were the hot set-up before all the other intakes hit the market. Enjoy it!

Gloss black w/polished plate is gonna look awesome if the black turns out right. Make sure it's smooth first!
When I first got the idea, I didn't realize the intake was gonna be so rough, so yeah, I'm gonna have to smooth it a little somehow. It's not a show car in any way shape or form, so I'm not gonna go crazy with it though.

Nice, what do you plan to support it with? What heads and cam?
Looks like I'm leaning towards twisted wedges. I just saw the ad for the Fox Lake cnc ones that I might go for. As for the cam, I might just go with a plane jane f-cam because future plans include a turbo, and I hear it's a great turbo cam. I'm pretty much open to anything right now as far as the cam goes though.

Yeah, buying used really freaks me out. My buddy got screwed big time on a short block he bought, and I don't want that to happen. Aluminum heads are especially sketchy to buy used like you said. I am trying to save some money though, I'm sure I'm gonna need it for that t5 after a few powershifts with the new combo.

Well if your T5 does start to go, or go I know a local guy in Wallingford I believe that does tranny rebuilds. He did mine a while back when second was sketchy (bought a used T5 for the T5 swap and it needed freshening up). He did a great job and I have been happy with it since!

Sweet intake! It looks good chrome too. I'm leaning towards twisted wedges too instead of the AFR 165's and might go with the F-cam too for the vortech charger. Wow blackened88 same year same combo same motorcycle if you get a TKO500 it would be like doubles.

I started smoothing it out today. It's kind of a pain in the ass. I'm using a bunch of different grit wheels on my die grinder. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to get in the tight spaces. It's not done yet, but here's some pics to give you an idea how it's coming out.
upper-smooth2.jpg

Upper-smooth.jpg

Here's a pic of the bottom side of the upper intake for 91GHP5.0
Upper-Ports.jpg

Here's a couple of the bottom side of the lower.
Lower-ports2.jpg

Lower-ports.jpg

As you can probably see in the pics of the ports, the intake has been ported. The upper to lower is port matched, and the lower to heads was ported. He said it was on AFR 225s.

Attachments

• upper-smooth2.jpg
    upper-smooth2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Upper-smooth.jpg
    Upper-smooth.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Upper-Ports.jpg
    Upper-Ports.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Lower-ports2.jpg
    Lower-ports2.jpg