Got some type of drivetraine "whine"

Pearl02

Nov 27, 2004
Kansas City
My car has developed a "whine" or "humming" noise. The noise only happens between 45mph up to 65mph. It goes away after 65mph. The noise will occur in both 4th and 5th gear. It doesn't matter which of these gears I'm in. It's like a low "whine" or "hum". I had gear installed about 4500 miles ago. I also had the tranny tsb done about 8000 miles ago. Mike(svttech) I know the tranny was rebuilt with new synchro's, could this be the cause? I don't know if it's the rearend,tranny or u-joints. Thanks guys. Pearl02.

• Sponsors (?)

I'd bet it is your u-joints. Mine did the same thing after my gear install but not a result of it. Just the needle bearing were bad in the u-joint and the gears excerbated the noise. Replace the u-joints or use thsi as an excuse to get and aluminum driveshaft...I did.

coramprat said:
I'd bet it is your u-joints. Mine did the same thing after my gear install but not a result of it. Just the needle bearing were bad in the u-joint and the gears excerbated the noise. Replace the u-joints or use thsi as an excuse to get and aluminum driveshaft...I did.

I didn't know that u-joints could "whine". I just thought that they "clicked" or "sqeaked" when they went south. I'm not much of a drivetrain man. I helped my uncle build engines at his full service shop years ago. I also pumped gas and did oil changes for him. I'll check into the u-joints. How hard is it to replace them? What's the best way to test them? Thanks Pearl02.

Pearl...

My u-joints started out more of a hum or moan around 3 grand rpm's in 5th. Then it moved into the 2 grand range in 4th, then through all gears. The only thing I can liken it to is the sound a subwoofer would make if it had a steady tone. You could feel it in the seat and hear it pretty loudly. When I removed the driveshaft to replace it, my dad pulled the dust caps and on one knucle the needle bearings had turned to powder.

Try to wiggle the shaft at the joint and see if there is any play. If there is, I'd replace the u-joint. The DS is pretty easy to remove. 4 nuts on the differential and it will drop right down. You just have to have the rear off the ground so you can rotate the wheel to manuver the nuts where you can get to them. Set the brake, remove nut, release brake, rotate wheel and so on.

coramprat said:
Pearl...

My u-joints started out more of a hum or moan around 3 grand rpm's in 5th. Then it moved into the 2 grand range in 4th, then through all gears. The only thing I can liken it to is the sound a subwoofer would make if it had a steady tone. You could feel it in the seat and hear it pretty loudly. When I removed the driveshaft to replace it, my dad pulled the dust caps and on one knucle the needle bearings had turned to powder.

Try to wiggle the shaft at the joint and see if there is any play. If there is, I'd replace the u-joint. The DS is pretty easy to remove. 4 nuts on the differential and it will drop right down. You just have to have the rear off the ground so you can rotate the wheel to manuver the nuts where you can get to them. Set the brake, remove nut, release brake, rotate wheel and so on.
Thanks man you've been a big help. I'll check those u-joints. I put my car back in storage for now. We are expecting 8 to 10 inches of snow between Monday and Tuesday. My "baby" doesn't see snow. I will check it out in a week or two. Right now I'm driving my 95 Mazda B4000 pickup which also has some drivetrain noises. I suspect in it's case that it's the driveshaft center carrier bearing. I'll check the u-joints on it as well. I have to many cars in cluding the wife's Eclipse. Thanks again. Pearl02.

Pearl02 said:
My car has developed a "whine" or "humming" noise. The noise only happens between 45mph up to 65mph. It goes away after 65mph. The noise will occur in both 4th and 5th gear. It doesn't matter which of these gears I'm in. It's like a low "whine" or "hum". I had gear installed about 4500 miles ago. I also had the tranny tsb done about 8000 miles ago. Mike(svttech) I know the tranny was rebuilt with new synchro's, could this be the cause? I don't know if it's the rearend,tranny or u-joints. Thanks guys. Pearl02.

your pinion has come slightly loose. to test this grab the pinion flange firmly and shake it up and down if it's the pinion you will feel a tiny bit of slop in there.

if you are carefull not to go nuts you can remove the driveshaft from the yoke on the rear end and tighten the pinion nut a little with a impact gun untill the play in the rear is gone, if you have no nosie after this then you are ok.

deftsound said:
mine does the same thing

It's a little annoying isn't it. I just don't want to do any damage to the rearend. I would have installed the gears myself but it think it was beyond my patience. I practiced with a old 8.8 rearend out of my Mazda. I had problems with the backlash. Pearl02.

Oh good lord... my buddy and I had a time with my diff... putting those 3.90s in is something I never want to experience again. We finally had to make a "tool" to stop the pinion from rotating while he used a big ass 1" impact gun to tighten the nut. Beforehand while I held it with a prybar it looked like I was getting shot with a machinegun.