Got the Merkur....here's pics

Oh how I wish we got the DOHC turbo Cosworth motor in these cars stateside...

think again homie, you have NO ic, 18 psi on a svo with an ic and its going to ping a little, I telling ya its going to pop a hg, with that much boost and no ic. the first thing to do is put a ic on it, at the least a turbo coupe unit, then add some boost, go up in little increments not 10psi at a time!!! im just warning you.

Wow ... never knew all of that about Merkurs before. I always just assumed that they were the same as Saabs or something - FWD and whatnot. Kinda makes me wish I'd taken a closer look at the ones I'd seen drifting through the Craigslist ads in the past few months...

Good catch, man.

Just wait until you get to go to the parts store asking for **** for these cars...The people there usually give you a "wtf" look or they think you said Mercury.

The engine can take lots of abuse....just get rid of the stock tranny as quick as you can because it's a POS.

Oh how I wish we got the DOHC turbo Cosworth motor in these cars stateside...

Oh tell me about it....but i've read that a DOHC head from a certain Volvo will bolt on....but that's way too extreme for me right now.

Yeah definitely, i actually put off on the MBC today for that very reason. Like i said it's gotta be reliable before it's fast so the intercooler is first. Now i have to find one and figure out how i'm going to plumb it.

Just wait until you get to go to the parts store asking for **** for these cars...The people there usually give you a "wtf" look or they think you said Mercury.

Yeah, been there twice already. I'm putting a new clutch in it because it's slipping a little, and i had to order it but they did get it in over night. It'll be ok until something specific to the CAR itself needs replaced....i'm pretty confident i can find parts for the engine pretty easily since they were used in other cars.

The engine can take lots of abuse....just get rid of the stock tranny as quick as you can because it's a POS.

Yeah i've been reading that 500-700hp isn't unheard of on the stock block, but that's way out of my league. As for the trany i'm fine with it...i've got some T5 hook-ups so i'll drive it until it pops. Don't fix what ain't broke ya know? Besides i don't plan on any clutch drops or anything like that...i'm more worried about busting out the IRS than anything.

I blew a diff and a T9 in mine

And I was only running low 15's @ 88mph getting low 2.2 60' times (which isn't bad I guess for an open diff). That's how crappy they are.

Yeah i'm really worried about the diff.....but unless i find a limited slip unit here in the states and get it for a decent price, i probably won't mess with it unless i have to. Shipping alone from Europe is about as much as i paid for the car!

The LSD version isn't really any stronger. Has the same size ring gear and the same axles, so there's no real difference from one to the other strength wise.

Cobra 8.8 IRS is the way to go...if you are good at fabrication any how, lol.

jeff(7t9cobra) bought a merkur and pulled the motor for his 79 cobra, if you need any spare(cheap) driveline parts shoot him a PM, it's at the junkyard now but he has full access to the car at no charge(he already bought the car), Hope this helps and nice merkur! BTW i dont know if it was LSD or not, but i think it was(he never drove it), it's also a 5spd

~Mark~