Got the new heads and intake, and a question.

Zero Signal

Feb 24, 2003
Tucson, AZ
In case you didn't see the post, I found some GT-40 heads and an Explorer intake for $350. So I went up to Pheonix yesterday and picked them up from the salvage yard (All Ford Parts). Today I took the heads apart and cleaned them up along with the manifold.

I noticed a few things: The valve faces were kind of white looking. I know when spark plugs are white, it's becuase you're running lean, but does the same go for the valve faces? I've seen some burnt valves and they were white, but also totally screwed up. These still look good, just sorta white. I think I can still clean them up. The chambers were still pretty black, but no carbon build-up.

I also noticed that the backside of the intake valves were pretty built up with black crust, pretty oily but nothing that can't be cleaned. In fact, the entire intake track was black and pretty grimey. I was able to clean it up pretty well, but I'm still wondering why it was like that.

All in all I got pretty lucky. The truck had come to the yard a few days prior to me calling them up so everything internal still had oil on it and no rust yet. The valve guides are still tight and the seats seem good so I'm happy.

• Sponsors (?)

swingline said:
Sorry for going OT but Tom, do you still want my stock upper/lower? If you are going to be in town working on the hospital I can drop them off to you.

I have not forgotten (like I promised). You can see that the hospital is just getting out of the ground, so we have not been to the site much at all in the last few months, and when we did some, it was for one day on the corp jet.

AND, my job has changed and I'll be working more with operations & maintenance than with construction (but I will do both), so it might be a while before it get there. I'm guessing 2-3 months before I spend any time there at all. It need to be a week visit where I will have a car to come meet you and pay for/pick it up. I can't believe how much construction and development is going on there.

OK, now back on topic.

tmoss said:
I have not forgotten (like I promised). You can see that the hospital is just getting out of the ground, so we have not been to the site much at all in the last few months, and when we did some, it was for one day on the corp jet.

AND, my job has changed and I'll be working more with operations & maintenance than with construction (but I will do both), so it might be a while before it get there. I'm guessing 2-3 months before I spend any time there at all. It need to be a week visit where I will have a car to come meet you and pay for/pick it up. I can't believe how much construction and development is going on there.

OK, now back on topic.

Roger that.