Got to really drive the car today! And got the summit RAD

yellow1995Cobra

Dec 23, 2002
Massachusetts
Well since my stock rad took a dump, i was deciding between the fluidyne and summit radiator. Well i opted to save the 200 bucks and go the summit route. This rad is sooo much thicker the the stocker. It was pretty easy to make fit, and man it keeps the car cool! The car does not go over 170 with it, and that is without the fan!(fan set to come on at whatever stock is 210?). I have a 160 thermo in it.

Well once i got that all set, i set the timing to 8, and btm to 3, and FP up to 50 to be safe. Took it out for a lil rip ride. Got on her a lil bit, bring the rpms up to about 4500-5k. The instant i hit the gas, i feel just the engine, then an instant later its just a rush of power (turbo spooling up). Man its sick!! The car friggen hauls lol. First time ive ever smelt clutch since ive ownedthe car! It seriously blows the tires off the car at ANY rpm in 2 gear, even 2-2500 punch. Now i just need to get this thing tuned, and really let her rip up to 6k or so, cant wait to see how that feels!

Also, at part/full throttle nothing beats the whistle the turbo gives off with the exhaust just dumped. It sounds so sweet.

The cam i have has 113 LSA, and its giving me no idle issues thus far. Car actually runs/drives better then it did with my old combo, odd i know.

Few issues though. First was a SCARY one. A vaccum line worked its way under the throttle linkage on the tbody and stuck the throttle to WOT. So i floored it and it stayed floored, scared the **** outa me!! It started banging my MSD rev limter (6k) till i turned the key off.

Also, i have a noisy valvetrain, seems to be comon though.

One other problem, is when i cruising at part throttle and i take my foot of the gas it seems to stay at that throttle level breifly, then fall back down. There isnt anything that i can see to cause the tbody to stay open.

Any help/comments is welcomed! Thanks :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Dude, yeah. It is the best feeling in the world when you can tell the engine doesn't stop pulling till you lift. I have 1700 miles or so on the engine and I still am scared to death when when I go even up 5000 r.p.m. I bet people will say your car is wicked fast. :D

By the way, not tryin to tell you your business, but be careful the first time you see another fast car. I saw an 03 Cobra the first day I got my beast running and it took every ounce of will in my body not to race him(cause he wanted to). You got a badass setup and its worth the wait. :nice:

Hey do you still have the stock gears? I do and I cant wait till 3rd gear feels like second does now. The second gear peel is awesome when you slowly roll on (so it doesnt peel) and then when the boost hits youre goin like 45 and the tires start spinning. :D I did that next to some guy in a WS6 who went out of his way to race me and I swear at the next stop sign it looked like he wanted to cry.

Do you have an intercooler? Reason I ask is I want to upgrade my radiator but I have not seen any that would fit with my intercooler.

Jesse,

As far as the top part of the post. "Tell us how you really feel". That is awesome. funny thing is last night I was gonna nextel you and find out how soon the car would be running. I think I'm gonna go up and watch the races tonight. My car is still apart. Actually, we just ripped out the rear last night to put in the Eaton and Superior axles.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the throttle sticking for that brief moment. It's probably something stupid.

When are you gonna get it tuned ??

Sleepy, yea its intercooled. Ill get some shots of the intercooler for ya. I have 3.90 gears now, which is wayyy to much gear. I have a set of 3.55's to put back in. Hopefully i can get those put in soon.

Yea im gonna take it easy witht he racing till its tuned. Cant do much with the 3.90's anyways.

Seth - just takes time man, ive been modding my car alot longer then you have..

Onebad - Im gonna call DEZ racing today and see when they can tune it. Pretty much ASAP. It wont be race ready for a lil while, i need to get some taller tires for my prostars, and i would like to have the C4 in by then. I know this t5 is gonna screw me at the track.

Be sure to let us know when you get your car running.

The WOT throttle thing happened to my me. My valve train was noisey on the way home. The next day it was running on 7 cylinders. Pop the valve covers off and found a broken valve spring. Replaced them all with those Steeda Hi-Rev springs. Sounds like your having a some fun.

VibrantRedGT said:
The WOT throttle thing happened to my me. My valve train was noisey on the way home. The next day it was running on 7 cylinders. Pop the valve covers off and found a broken valve spring. Replaced them all with those Steeda Hi-Rev springs. Sounds like your having a some fun.

Damn that sucks VIB. How high did it rev up? Luckily my MSD box was set to 6000 rpm rev limiter. Man if i didnt have that in there i would have been royaly screwed. I have the upgraded springs on my AFR's, so i should be good to go in that aspect. Lets just hope no damage was done.

Yea im having some fun, just changed the oil again to get the cam lube out, gonna go take it out for a ride now to see how its running.

Ya Dude...Glad to hear it started right up.... :nice: take it out for a hoot and when its cold, re-do the valves per Eds site...It should come right around...Maybe even give it some time unless you feel its excessively noisy/loose??? must be nice to be driving it again....

On the gears, don't know if im gonna be able to help you out quickly...we're on 7 days a week at work...mines still in pcs to boot.... :bang: I'll be lucky if i have it ready by May 1st for the dyno...I got a new hood to paint and the rear bumper/gears to do, plus the MAFs still gotta go out for re-cal once my CAI has been made...thats being fabbed and welded up....

yellow1995Cobra said:
Sleepy, yea its intercooled. Ill get some shots of the intercooler for ya. I have 3.90 gears now, which is wayyy to much gear. I have a set of 3.55's to put back in. Hopefully i can get those put in soon.

Yea im gonna take it easy witht he racing till its tuned. Cant do much with the 3.90's anyways.

Cool . So does it spin in third? You know you want to try if you haven't already :crazy:

Mine doesnt spin in 3rd but it wiggles... like I said I still have 3.08s.

Vib, im looking!

Rio, thats cool about the gears, i can get them done local..

DTas, im gonna double check the PART# for you..

Sleepy - I have a wierd WOT miss now so i dunno about 3rd. It feels like something is holding the car back at WOT, but at part throttle it accelerates good, much much faster then WOT. So i gotta figure this stupid problem out now.

My car actually needs a good dyno tune as well ... Im sure youll get your stuff straightened out.

Today is OT day, so do you know where Dennis is on the Cape? I have stayed there quite a few times with my cousins who live in and around Boston.

Sleepy McNastee said:
My car actually needs a good dyno tune as well ... Im sure youll get your stuff straightened out.

Today is OT day, so do you know where Dennis is on the Cape? I have stayed there quite a few times with my cousins who live in and around Boston.

No i dont.. How far out on the cape is it? Its been a long long time since ive been out there.

Its on the bay side(north) about half way up the "arm". I love that area but its been a while since I've been there too. All the little towns on the Cape seem like they are the same as they were 100 years ago. Definitely more pleasing to the eye there than here in Kansas.

Seth 5.0 -Do you have an aftermarket tach? The stock tach isnt very accurate from what I've heard. Im not sure exactly what the stock rev limiter is set at. :shrug:

That's awesome Jesse. I have had the summitt radiator now for almost 2yrs and have yet to put it in. Do you have any pics of how you installed it? I had problems with the catch can and something else which I can't remember. I am going tom wait until after I race the car for the first time this year next weekend before I attemp to put it in.

Seth, 7000rpms is what my stock rev limiter is set at in my 5 speed car. The autos is around 5250-5500... I know its VERY low.