Grant Wheel Installation

Nov 21, 2011
so installed I the wheel (hella easy) and there is a gap between my steering column and hub adapter I've been searching through forums and I've only seen 2 options

1. unbolt something under the dash and slide up the column
2. create a piece to cover the gap

1) Does anyone know what bolts people are talking about? or have pictures?

2) Does anyone have pictures of a created cover?

Attachments

• hub gap.jpg
    hub gap.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 341
  • 20150222_135333.jpg
    20150222_135333.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 312
  • wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 322
  • Sponsors (?)

Normally it's best when replacing a steering wheel to have the wheels pointed straight forward. It makes it easier to align the steering wheel with your tires so when you're driving straight down the road your steering wheel is squared up correctly and not crooked.

First thing that comes to my mind regarding your gap would be a CV axle boot, cut to fit.

Reactions: 1 user
Looks like some cruel and unusual butchery going on there on the steering column trim cover.. Is that piece cut back?

EDIT: (on the op's pic)

Reactions: 1 user
I had a grant wheel and istall kit on my old 70 mach 1 and the trim that came with it made up perfectly. I had a grant on my 79 back in the 90's and don't remember it looking bad.. I can't help but wonder if with the correct parts and better shape if the op would get his problem fixed.. I mean, we've got parts from lowe's in the pic here..

I guess I just prefer the factory wheels.. very seldom do I see something that looks better to me. I don't need buttons for NAWZ..

Reactions: 1 users
I chose the momo hub part 4525 and saleen wheel from an 89, although not together yet I'm hoping I don't have these issues, I would try the black pvc and start there, I'm hoping mine sits flush since it once was a factory rolling combo, that second pic didn't look too bad at all, I thought grant made something now for this exact reason? Or is it for the 90-93 when tossing the airbag wheel, I'm curious too now

I couldn't stand looking at that airbag wheel all day and pay taxes on a car with my hard earned money and be told i couldnt change it out, I don't care about the safety issue because I'm building a racecar with cage and harness,not a daily, that I understand and hear u loud and clear, I stick with the 89 and unders anyway I had one 91 gt vert and it got stolen, but tons of people delete those airbags and use the tilt wheel from an 87-89 and go with whatever wheel they choose, cops around here are a little more worried about bigger problems then a removed airbag in someone's personal vehicle, to each is own my friend, IMO make a nice custom cover to hide the gap and be done with it, good lick with build

Airbags and other mandatory safety equipment are covered by federal law in CFR 49 part 595. I've read up a bit (inasmuch as I can stand the legalese) and while there are restrictions on what they call "repair businesses" rendering mandatory safety equipment inoperable, I can't find anything specifically saying an owner can't do the same themselves. Perhaps it just doesn't occur to the NHTSA that someone might want to do that for whatever reason (installing a different steering wheel, for example)? There are exemptions in CFR 49 part 595, subpart C that allow "repair businesses" to render safety equipment inoperable under certain circumstances (an owner that is so short they have to sit dangerously close to the airbag, other people with special needs, etc.). In this case, the business making the modification has to provide the owner with documentation basically telling them the pros and cons of deactivating the airbag; they then have to affix a warning label to the interior of the car stating that said vehicle may no longer conform to NHTSA standards.

In either case, there is nothing specific about owners making their own modifications (I'm sure they would say we can't if they did say anything about owners).

I'd probably go ahead and remove the airbag in favor of a better steering wheel. I just wouldn't tell anyone who works for the government that I did. ;)

Air Bags | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)