GREAT Engine Dress UP...Painted Coil Covers!

94GTLaserRC

Squint as you approach, lest you be blinded by my
15 Year Member
Finally got the hang of this, and just got my new buffer with polishing compounds, so they come out super smooth now. Here's some different color combos:

Mine:
IMG_7075.jpg

IMG_7036.jpg

My Friend's Candy Red (Bottom is PRE-buffing):
IMG_7011-1.jpg

Joan1.jpg

RACE RED:

IMG_7057.jpg

IMG_6772.jpg

BLACK (lightened to highlight reflection):

IMG_7067.jpg

IMG_7011b.jpg

20120426_143811.jpg

I highly recommend this to anyone that wants to dress up the engine bay!
RC

Reactions: 2 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the compliment, but what's wrong with a UV filter? Protects my $800 lens.
RC

You're actually at higher risk of damaging your $800 lens with that on there. The lens is meant to take a beating, but if something strikes the thin glass of the UV filter, it is very abrasive when it shatters and is more likely to damage your lens glass than if you didn't have it.

Check this out:

It isn't until the guy takes the claw side directly to the glass is he able to even mark it.

Sorry to hijack!

Wow, those are nice! That carbon fiber look is sick! Not my choice for engine bay but it is still wicked! Nice job! I'm sure up close they're nicer than mine. I used rustoleum enamel. Didn't like the chrome spears and lines so I redid them in red. Paints still drying so no pics. The blue is more like Ford blue than the robins egg blue they look like. I don't have a uv filter for my camera either :)
MyGTmotor2.jpg
MyGTmotor1.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Very nice looking! Looks professionally done!

I just did mine to look like the Boss 302. Spent 9 dollars on plastic prep/primer and the blue paint... Better then buying them for like 80-90 bucks!

BossIntakeCoilCovers.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah PoopDawg and it's amazing how good they do come out with that first coat! When I sprayed mine all blue, you'd thought it was factory! It's taping and spraying in everything else that leaves less than perfect lines...at least for me anyway, but unless you're right up close, you don't really notice.

Thanks Bojingles! I was inspired by others too! Someone had their avatar as the painted engine covers...that was my first inspiration.

I like the way the bue looks! Same as beviking, did you have to sand? And what product did you use? And where did you get the grabber blue color? This seems like it would take some serious time to do.

Very nice looking! Looks professionally done!

I just did mine to look like the Boss 302. Spent 9 dollars on plastic prep/primer and the blue paint... Better then buying them for like 80-90 bucks!

BossIntakeCoilCovers.jpg

Yea, I'm kind of on the fence on whether or not I want to paint my originals or buy the new ones for $90. I would like to keep the originals if I ever set the car back to factory settings. I guess I could just buy new OEMs, though.

On that note, I do love the blue coil covers. Takes us back to the old days of the Boss 302 and Boss 429s when Ford had the blue valve covers.

You're actually at higher risk of damaging your $800 lens with that on there. The lens is meant to take a beating, but if something strikes the thin glass of the UV filter, it is very abrasive when it shatters and is more likely to damage your lens glass than if you didn't have it.

Check this out:

It isn't until the guy takes the claw side directly to the glass is he able to even mark it.

Sorry to hijack!

I would suspect that the tiny front element is pretty strong and well-recessed into the lens body. My lenses have 77mm front elements, at least 3x bigger that that tiny thing. Most any filter will crack and stay in place of the filter ring unless you bash the front of it. So hitting the lens from the side, or dropping it with a lens hood on will unlikely cause the filter to explode into your front element. I'd rather replace a $100 filter than the front element on a $2,000 lens. Your mileage may vary. ;)

I would suspect that the tiny front element is pretty strong and well-recessed into the lens body. My lenses have 77mm front elements, at least 3x bigger that that tiny thing. Most any filter will crack and stay in place of the filter ring unless you bash the front of it. So hitting the lens from the side, or dropping it with a lens hood on will unlikely cause the filter to explode into your front element. I'd rather replace a $100 filter than the front element on a $2,000 lens. Your mileage may vary. ;)

You're missing the point. The surface area of the lens is irrelevant. The point is that striking the lens with a hammer made no effect until severely striking it with the claw end, which is simulating only the most severe of accidents. Taking chips out of the glass is going to be just as difficult or easy whether the glass is 52mm or 77mm. The only difference the larger front element makes is if there is an impact strong enough to actually break it, in which no filter would ever save you.

Like I said in that post you quoted, it's not simply the fact that the front element is resilient on its own, it's the fact that if the filter shatters (which is very likely on any impact that deforms the ring), the shards of glass can very easily scratch the surface of your front element. Broken glass is very sharp, much sharper than anything else that would ever touch the front of your lens. You have to realize that those filters are very thin glass, and any impact that would damage your front element will certainly shatter your filter, thus increasing the risk of front element damage.

Hitting the lens from the side or the hood isn't going to damage the front element anyway, so the idea that it wouldn't break the filter is irrelevant.

You also run the risk of deforming the filter ring in an impact, which can permanently damage the threads on the front of the lens, as well as cause the filter to be stuck on the front of the lens. There have been instances where filters are stuck on the front so bad that the lens was damaged when trying to remove them.

Furthermore, physical damage aside, adding any extra glass to the front of the lens introduces unnecessary lens flares and halos that can compromise your photos, making your $2000 lens look like a $200 lens.

Okay, this stuff all looks too cool not to try it myself. So how do you do the color in the recesses like lettering, etc.? I think I'd like to do my letters/numbers and recesses in either a dark blue (like my Kona Blue 'stang) or in red to match the point on the 5.0.

Any YouTube demos or instructions available on doing this?

Okay, this stuff all looks too cool not to try it myself. So how do you do the color in the recesses like lettering, etc.? I think I'd like to do my letters/numbers and recesses in either a dark blue (like my Kona Blue 'stang) or in red to match the point on the 5.0.

Any YouTube demos or instructions available on doing this?
I use an airbrush..It's taken me a few mess ups to get it to a pro-like quality. After initial paint, I put a layer of clear coat over the letters..let it dry 24 hours. Then when I air brush the letters, I wipe off the over spray with a little reducer, as the clear coat is protecting the under coat from being removed by the clear. Then I clear coat the whole thing and buff it out...also took me a few tries to get this right.
RC