green wire on alt?

kr8zstang

Nov 3, 2005
upstate, sc
my alt has not been charging my battery, alt and battery are good. so i was trying to find some wiring issue and when i checked the green wire, the alt started charging. so if i touch a jumper to the green wire, it starts charging. i can remove the jumper and it continues to charge. if i turn off the car and restart, it no longer charges until i touch it with the jumper again. what would cause this? where does this green wire go?

• Sponsors (?)

ok, we need to know exactly where you're "jumpering" to and from - as mentioned above. Pictures are best, but a good description will suffice.

Is this the light green/red wire from the voltage regulator? That goes to the battery light in the instrument cluster, so probably not. I'd say it's probably the dark green wire that connects to the black/orange wire that runs from the alt. The black/orange wire is what brings the power from the alt to the battery; the green wire that it connects into is a 14ga fusible link, which then connects to the starter relay.

If it's this dark green fusible link you're "jumpering," then you simply have a melted fusible link. Replace it with 14ga fusible link - you can get it at the auto parts store for a couple bucks; color doesn't matter, but make sure it's 14ga and fusible link wire! You also may want to figure out why exactly it's bad if that is indeed the problem. Mine was visually noticable - old, broken wire - the problem was obvious.

Post back w/ pictures or a description of the wire you're jumpering or any other problems/symptoms if I didn't get it there.

PS...sorry, I answered this last night, but stangnet kept asking me to sign in when I was already signed in; restarted this morning after work (3rd shift) and now we're good to go.

BTW, go to that link posted above and save all of the diagrams to your hard drive. They're very helpful; sometimes easier to check 'em out on a pc screen than flipping through pages of a manual.

See the diagram link above - that green wire is where the regulator gets it's signal to "turn on" the alternator field when the key gives power to the dash indicators. That's why there is a resistor in parrallel to the bulb - if it burns out, the resistor still allows the regulator to get turned on. You have a loose connection or bad connection I'd suspect.

that seems more logical than my assumption:flag:

I didn't know that's how the lt green/red wire works...kinda wondered exactly how that worked. Learn something new every day:D

I have a few questions, but I guess I'll make a seperate post

it is the light green wire that goes to my dash indicators. when i turn on my key, i have no indicator lights exept for the seat belt light. so it sounds like tmoss is right. i'll check it out this weekend. this one really had me stumped. thanks for the info guys.

Tom (as usual) and everyone else are spot-on. Guys who do the swap to having all aftermarket instrumentation sometimes run into an issue where they did not take care of that circuit. FWIW, the same is true on 5.0L SN95's (in case anyone in the future searches).

Good luck.