Caden

Sep 30, 2016
Hello, my name is caden, my account is new, but i have been surfing these forums for help with a constant, but unprogressive problem i have had with my 2005 mustang GT with just over 90k miles. The issue is a rattle coming from the front passenger side of the engine. I am absolutely certain it is coming from the air conditioning unit, because when when i turn on the AC the rattle is suppressed. I have read that this could be the "A/C clutch" and that i need to replace it, however, im not sure. Everyone's story is just a bit different. If that is the problem, is the $130 dollar CJ pony parts (http://www.cjponyparts.com/air-conditioning) unit the only option? Thats all i found and its not cheap. I have a video if there is some way to post it for you all. Thanks a lot my fellow pilots!

• Sponsors (?)

Stand in front of A/C with car running a/c on high, if clutch is bad you'll hear it. Also remove belt spin it if bad it will sound crunchy or not want to turn. When their going out you can smell burning, did on my 86 gt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stand in front of A/C with car running a/c on high, if clutch is bad you'll hear it. Also remove belt spin it if bad it will sound crunchy or not want to turn. When their going out you can smell burning, did on my 86 gt.

I do smell an odd smell when i enter my garage, perhaps thats the burning scent? And lets say that this is the problem, which i agree it is, what action can i take? Im new -not only to mustangs- but car repair in general. Who do i take it to? (If anyone) and is that CJ pony parts clutch the one i need?

Also, what are the potential hazards of leaving it as is? Should i keep the A/C on or off to try to put the least amount of wear on it? Does it affect performance? Should i avoid heavy acceleration (i usually drive softly, dont usually go over 3k rpms, 4k is pretty high for me)? I know this is a lot of questions, but you hve experience, so i would like to use it! Thanks for the help!

You need to have a/c on engine running to hear if it has a bad clutch . If you don't run a/c you'll be ok. If you run a/c with a bad clutch it will jam up and take out compressor behind it. When mine went out on my 86 gt it just locked up and smoked. No brainier on diagnosis. Don't know what part number you'll need. If your new to cars might want to have a friend or shop help you. Their not hard, but you do need to know what your doing. Always disconnect negative black battery cable when working on car. You can buy a DVD online for your car usually $20.00 or less. Strongly recommend it. It will help along with go online and theirs always a mechanic that walks you thru any repair. I'm 61, and never had internet. You guys are lucky, we had to read, ask questions of mechanics when they would talk at all. Or just tear into it, hoping for the best. My advice on parts is spend a little extra and buy from Ford. Just seems to work better most if the time.

You need to have a/c on engine running to hear if it has a bad clutch . If you don't run a/c you'll be ok. If you run a/c with a bad clutch it will jam up and take out compressor behind it. When mine went out on my 86 gt it just locked up and smoked. No brainier on diagnosis. Don't know what part number you'll need. If your new to cars might want to have a friend or shop help you. Their not hard, but you do need to know what your doing. Always disconnect negative black battery cable when working on car. You can buy a DVD online for your car usually $20.00 or less. Strongly recommend it. It will help along with go online and theirs always a mechanic that walks you thru any repair. I'm 61, and never had internet. You guys are lucky, we had to read, ask questions of mechanics when they would talk at all. Or just tear into it, hoping for the best. My advice on parts is spend a little extra and buy from Ford. Just seems to work better most if the time.

Thank you very much, my father is your age, and im only 18. He used to race a 57 ranchero he rebuilt, so he is very knowledgeable about cars, but he just doesn't have the time that i have to hunt for answers online. I'll let you know how the diagnosis goes later!

Hey Caden, welcome to Stangnet.

I'll move your thread over to the '05-'14 general talk subforum. There are plenty of guys over there that will be able to give you more help.

@Moosee1955 is right I believe.

The guys in the S197 subforum will be able to post pictures of their cars to help out visually as well.

Good to have you with us.