GT rear disk to CObra

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I plan on converting my current Sn95 GT rear disk setup on my '88 to the larger Cobra setup using this kit

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...t=FMS-M-2300-M&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch

I know i have to reuse my GT varga rear calipers. WHat modification needs to be done to the caliper bracket to fit the Cobra rotor? I take it I will need to grind a little bit away to widen it?

I am aware i will need to get Cobra pads.

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, i know I installed them myself along with Cobra front disks

I'm trying to upgrade from the 10" solid rotor to the 11.65" vented Cobra rotor to fill up some space inside my rear wheels

Mustang5L5 said:
I plan on converting my current Sn95 GT rear disk setup on my '88 to the larger Cobra setup using this kit

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...18&autoview=sku

I know i have to reuse my GT varga rear calipers. WHat modification needs to be done to the caliper bracket to fit the Cobra rotor? I take it I will need to grind a little bit away to widen it?

I am aware i will need to get Cobra pads.

I put cobra rear brakes on my car and I used the following reference.

http://svo73mm.cjb.net/

Shakerhood said:
I beleive you need the actual Cobra brackets and the anti-moan bracket/braces.

Well the kit comes with all that except for axles and the calipers for $189

fms-m-2300-m_w.jpg

I already have the axles and calipers since i am using a GT rear disk setup.

Here are my calipers
View attachment 506977

What i'm asking is if the black bracket on the calipers will fit over the Cobra disk? Is it a direct swap? I remember reading that the space needs to be opened up a bit for CObra rotors since the rotors are wider. Is this true at all or will they fit fine?

I'm gonna order the kit anyway, so i'll do a test fit and get my answer.

Attachments

• fms-m-2300-m_w.jpg
    fms-m-2300-m_w.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 45
Mustang5L5 said:
What i'm asking is if the black bracket on the calipers will fit over the Cobra disk? Is it a direct swap? I remember reading that the space needs to be opened up a bit for CObra rotors since the rotors are wider. Is this true at all or will they fit fine?

I'm gonna order the kit anyway, so i'll do a test fit and get my answer.

Upgrade to the 94-98 Cobra 11.65" vented rotors. You need the Cobra specific axle bracket, anti-moan bracket and rotor. You use your existing caliper with the cobra pads (they are thinner to accommodate the thicker rotor). There are 3 different caliper brackets for the 94+ cars. You can either get a cobra specific unit or grind the GT/V6 one wider to accomodate the wider cobra rotor.

I did a while back, but i had a bad caliper and needed new rotors and came across an '02 GT rear disk setup for cheaper than replacing the SVO parts. ($100 for the GT stuff vs $150ish for a caliper and 2 rotors)

I also wanted to push my rear wheels out that extra 0.75".

I just hated going down to a smaller 10" rotor

I already have my GT stuff sold, so it won't cost me much for this upgrade.

I've prob had every brake setup you can do as of now. I've had rear 5-lug drums, Mark 7 disks, GT disks and now Cobra. Up front i had Mark 7 rotors and then Cobra and just scored some 99-04 GT PBR's and disks fir dirt cheap to swap on if i ever want to run some 15" drag lites at the track. Later on i'm planning on swapping to the Baer crossdrilled Cobra rotor setup and that will be it i promise :)

Mustang5L5 said:
I did a while back, but i had a bad caliper and needed new rotors and came across an '02 GT rear disk setup for cheaper than replacing the SVO parts. ($100 for the GT stuff vs $150ish for a caliper and 2 rotors)

I also wanted to push my rear wheels out that extra 0.75".

I just hated going down to a smaller 10" rotor

I already have my GT stuff sold, so it won't cost me much for this upgrade.

I've prob had every brake setup you can do as of now. I've had rear 5-lug drums, Mark 7 disks, GT disks and now Cobra. Up front i had Mark 7 rotors and then Cobra and just scored some 99-04 GT PBR's and disks fir dirt cheap to swap on if i ever want to run some 15" drag lites at the track. Later on i'm planning on swapping to the Baer crossdrilled Cobra rotor setup and that will be it i promise :)

So the only way you wanted to move the tire out .75", you had to downgrade to 10" rotors? My 2300 kit came with 11.65 rear rotors.