Gt40 (3 Bar) And Gt40 Intake Install Cost?

1989LXFOX

Jan 19, 2018
Hello all,

I am buying a pair of cleaned GT40 3 bar heads and I have a GT40 intake (Internal EGR). I would like to have these installed professionally as I dont have the time or honestly, the know how. I know there are a ton of factors to take into account, but assuming I supply the gaskets how much would a mechanic charge, or how many labor hours would this take? I have a pretty much stock 1989 5.0 H.O with 107k miles. The mechanic would have to pull off existing too. I live in the Philly area.

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

There is more to it than just slapping some heads on.
You have pushrod length, head bolts, rockers.
While you are that deep, no cam? Timing chain? Headers?

The reason for using gt40 iron heads is to save money, paying to have them installed kinda negates that fact.
I understand and take no issue with people that don't want or know how to do their own work. Not really a big deal imo, but if you are going to pay someone to do something, i'd save up and build a better aluminum head/cam/intake combination.

In the northeast I can't see it being done for $500. Hard to tell because I don't think I've known anyone that just did the heads.

Reactions: 1 user
$500 for a head and intake swap is cheap. I bet a local shop would charge $1k for that. The gt40 intake is nice, but I can't see spending that sort of $$ on gt40s.

Plus you might need to check springs, replace springs, check pushrod lenght and money for gaskets and fluids.

look, you are going to spend at least $1000 in labor PLUS parts by the time you are done.
As mentioned, there is more to it than slapping on a set of heads and an intake.
At a minimum, you will want to install new
  • timing chain and gears
  • harmonic balancer
  • lifters
  • rockers
  • pushrods
  • water pump
  • headers
  • throttle body
  • MAF
  • cam
  • intake,head, exhaust and other bolts and gaskets

On top of the labor of 8 to 10 hours labor- and that is if there are no broken bolts, etc...

My point is, if you are going to pay someone to do the work, save up and do it right the first time with a good set of aluminum heads matched with an Ed Curtis or good OTS cam. That will run you around $3k if you are lucky.

There is more to it than just slapping some heads on.
You have pushrod length, head bolts, rockers.
While you are that deep, no cam? Timing chain? Headers?

The reason for using gt40 iron heads is to save money, paying to have them installed kinda negates that fact.
I understand and take no issue with people that don't want or know how to do their own work. Not really a big deal imo, but if you are going to pay someone to do something, i'd save up and build a better aluminum head/cam/intake combination.

In the northeast I can't see it being done for $500. Hard to tell because I don't think I've known anyone that just did the heads.

Thanks for the advice, I just dont have the resources or time to do it myself. My dream would be to have a garage and the time to do it my self and learn something but sadly I cant! I didnt think about the push rod length, do the GT40 heads require different push rods? I could definitley get some hardened ones. Also money is an issue, I told my wife if she would let me buy the car, I wouldnt have to spend money on it (total lie) but it worked. So I literally have to sneak cash away. The plan is to keep this street car only that I drive to work once a week, I just wanted a a little more UMPH. I The care does have headers on it already.

If your looking for a little more UMPH, throw some rear end gears in it, its cheaper and you will feel the difference. You can do the HCI later when you have the time and money.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm near Reading, Pa and think $500 is a very reasonable price. Agree you would be wise to put some money into other items at the same time. I do side work but don't know how close you are. Shoot me a PM if you have questions about reputable shops in the area, etc.

I'm with the guys that suggest 3.73 gears.
Be a lot more fun than the 20 or so hp you will get from just doing the heads only.
You have subframe connectors?

I'm with the guys that suggest 3.73 gears.
Be a lot more fun than the 20 or so hp you will get from just doing the heads only.
You have subframe connectors?
I actually have 3.73 gears installed already. I have sub frames that haven’t been put on yet. I may just enjoy the car the way it is and save slowly for an HCI. I was just worried that combo may be stressing my bottom end out too much. Not looking for a track car just a fast grocery getter!

Last edited:
You'd probably be around 300 crank HP. Stock bottom end can handle that fine.

While you are there, you'd want to install a camshaft anyway, and that's when you start getting nickel and dimed on things like pushrods, new springs for the heads, etc.

Like everyone said save up to do a full hci when funds allow. If you want to spend some $ now
have your sub-frames welded in and put on a good set of shock/struts, should be more affordable.
Welcome to the modding worm hole..it only gets more addictive from here..lol.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually have 3.73 gears installed already. I have sub frames that haven’t been put on yet. I may just enjoy the car the way it is and save slowly for an HCI. I was just worried that combo may be stressing my bottom end out too much. Not looking for a track car just a fast grocery getter!

I think that's the best decision. Subframes will make the car much more fun to drive on top of the benefits.

Hello all,

I am buying a pair of cleaned GT40 3 bar heads and I have a GT40 intake (Internal EGR). I would like to have these installed professionally as I dont have the time or honestly, the know how. I know there are a ton of factors to take into account, but assuming I supply the gaskets how much would a mechanic charge, or how many labor hours would this take? I have a pretty much stock 1989 5.0 H.O with 107k miles. The mechanic would have to pull off existing too. I live in the Philly area.

Thanks in advance!
Hello all,

Thanks in advance!
The fox body is one of the easiest cars to work on. Go on YouTube or Google it. Don't pay a ridiculous shop fee. Heads intake cam is all you need . You wil notice a difference. Advance timing to 14* if you want all poneys freed up

The consensus is in! I am going to save up and buy a top end kit from LMR (sell the carb intake) and do it right. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me out on here, you guys are freaking awesome!