Engine GT40 upper/lower EGR issues

Vulpes5.0

5 Year Member
Nov 17, 2018
Warner Robins, Georgia
I've got a bit of a dilemma here. i bought a GT40 upper and lower, painted them up pretty , and realized that the ports don't quite line up.
Lower intake has the center port for internal EGR system, the upper does not at all. (just a gap between each group of intake holes) Not sure if the intakes came off different years or what, but they were sold together so i assumed they came off together.

I don't plan to run EGR anyway, bought a blockoff plate and the computer plug to calibrate. Smog pump was gone when i bought the car, and i have plugs for the back of my heads too.

Question is, what can i do to make sure I don't have a huge exhaust leak out of the top of my lower intake?

I've seen some suggest a 5/8 expandable plug, or a special spacer with no exhaust hole drilled, but I just want what's cheap and won't break.
I would use the expandable plug, but i think the thread i saw may have been referring to the opposite of my issue, no EGR provisions on the bottom, and a hole on the top, and i don't want it melting or getting shot into a low-earth orbit whenever i kick down on my car.

• Sponsors (?)

Block off at the heads. There are intake gaskets sold that do not have port for the EGR gasket to pass. Ive also seen a razor blade used, where the fat edge you grip is taken off. Then the blade is RTVed down to the head, and then the intake gasket is layed on top and the intake installed. No leak.

And that intake setup was not originally paired. The -BA lower intake manifold was paired with an upper that did have EGR functionality. The Upper you have should have been paired with a -BB lower manifold.

The part number is stamped where the distributor is, and the suffix is what I am referring to.