GTO........

• Sponsors (?)

Only early 60s mopars sold good based on great power, in spite of butt ugly looks....
:D

GM keeps missing the point, if they would just build a good looking body to put that motor / trans in, they would be swamped with orders.
:nonono:

DD
:flag:

SVTdriver said:
Actually that's a good point. If the RWD GTO was not selling well enough. Then can they justify a camaro?

If it's not retro in styling, and aimed at the baby boomers, they will be throwing good money after bad money on coming designs. A name is just not enough to make a car successful.

The GTO was only intended to be a 3 year run from the very beginning. So they are not really axe-ing it. The 05 sales were actually very good, heard the 06s were doing just as well. Worse thing that Pontiac did was call it a GTO, if they just kept it as the Manero a lot more people would have bought them. The car was actually real nice.

SonicBSnake said:
The GTO was only intended to be a 3 year run from the very beginning. So they are not really axe-ing it. The 05 sales were actually very good, heard the 06s were doing just as well. Worse thing that Pontiac did was call it a GTO, if they just kept it as the Manero a lot more people would have bought them. The car was actually real nice.

The last article I saw on it said it was selling about 1/4th of their original projections.... that's not so good.

Ugly they are.... slow they are NOT!!!!! Way more power than a stang (blown cobras excluded) and 6 gears to boot... much better muscle car IMO, just plain, cookie cutter pontiac, grand-everything, look alike looks.

DD

Ugly, seriuously you guys really think there ugly ?, :mad: It's the only V8 RWD nice touring car made anymore, it's really quite the shame. Theres no market for these cars because fat lazy americans want Tahoes with 22's to drive the Mc Donalds and the mall, It sucks all we get here is the toned down left overs.... look at Ford of Australlia, Chrsit ,... Straight 6 cylinder turbo awd cars. big brakes, cool colors, and what do we get ten different versions of a freaking tahoe, ( IE escalade, denalli...) there not car compamnys anymore, there SUV companys,... O and if the Damn things are getting used and big mini vans, give the the emsision standard of Mini vans :mad: :mad: , seriously, it's pretty gay.. :eek: :nono: Emision standadrs killed the RX7 and the GTO but there bent over backwards for SUVs......

( off the soap box now)

ddonaca351 said:
The last article I saw on it said it was selling about 1/4th of their original projections.... that's not so good.

Ugly they are.... slow they are NOT!!!!! Way more power than a stang (blown cobras excluded) and 6 gears to boot... much better muscle car IMO, just plain, cookie cutter pontiac, grand-everything, look alike looks.

DD

That's not what I see. The pushrod Chevy LS1 engine is good, but I see GTO's running low 14's, and high 13's -with a few mods (intake, chip) . I think GM really pulls back the timing to limit the application of power. A chip would be a necessity. I see 05 Stangs running mid to high 13's with a few mods. I don't pay much attention to magazines, I like empirical evidence. What are they running at your track?

I happened to agree about the styling. When you take a 4 door car and make it a 2 door, that's what you get. Aussies like 4 door cars.

stock50LX said:
That's not what I see. The pushrod Chevy LS1 engine is good, but I see GTO's running low 14's, and high 13's -with a few mods (intake, chip) . I think GM really pulls back the timing to limit the application of power. A chip would be a necessity. I see 05 Stangs running mid to high 13's with a few mods. I don't pay much attention to magazines, I like empirical evidence. What are they running at your track?

I happened to agree about the styling. When you take a 4 door car and make it a 2 door, that's what you get. Aussies like 4 door cars.
You must be on crack by saying that a GT will run faster than a GTO!!! Its pure physics ese....
GT---------GTO
~3500lbs ~3600lbs
300hp 400hp
315tq 400tq
5-spd 6-spd (close ratio)

The problem with this car was nothing more than stupid dealers with up to $10k markups when they came out.

Darkness said:
You must be on crack by saying that a GT will run faster than a GTO!!! Its pure physics ese....
GT---------GTO
~3500lbs ~3600lbs
300hp 400hp
315tq 400tq

The problem with this car was nothing more than stupid dealers with up to $10k markups when they came out.

If you think that was the only thing keeping people from buying it. Then you are also smoking crack.

I have not seen a GTO run at the track, but I have seen a BONE stock 05 GT run 13.5 at PIR. His sig here one stangnet is "bayboss" and he can drive, but realisticaly if the GTO's are not getting that, then they are slower. I know that there are more than horse and torque to a good 1/4 et as well. More like seven major elements. Gearing, torque curves, rear end and gear ratios, drivetrain loss etc.... The possiblities are endless. To just compare power and weight says nothing and I agre e with an elder to this world (stock50lx) that I need some empirical evidence to support the GTO's being that fast.

On a personal not, well close to personal, my father in his 03 cobra with just exhaust and cold air spanked a new GTO on two diff occasions so bad that the guy actually pulled over and hit his steering wheel in anger!!! :rlaugh: that is some funny stuff right there.

Darkness said:
GT---------GTO
~3500lbs ~3600lbs
300hp 400hp
315tq 400tq

The numbers you are using are provided by the factory (hint HP). You have the weight wrong, but not enough to bother with. Having written that, there are other factors involved in moving a car down the track (acceleration) -but I addressed that issue in my prior post. And, no, I am not on crack. I pay attention to cars at the track and I ask drivers about their mods. Using your method the GTO would be quicker than my '89 and vastly faster than my '87. I already wrote "empirical evidence" that should be clear enough. I've seen enough of both cars racing to make the statement above. What have you been watching?