Guidance Please New To These Cars

Bmfhp

Founding Member
Sep 2, 2000
Florida
So I am not new to Mustangs or racing or the fundamentals of how to get more power. But I did just buy a used 48K mile 2013 Boss. Normally I would have keep up with the tech and prevailing trends and I would know which to buy but it takes a lot of hard work and time to afford toys like this... So my question is which tuner and CAI? I used a diablo on my 03GT and I have an SCT with my 08 Shelby. Both due the job just fine. But what makes the best balance between power and drive-ability? This car will probably become my DD so I want more power and a bit better fuel econ as the 14-15MPG is killing me (The Shelby gets 21 driving the same places)

thanks for help

• Sponsors (?)

Without changing too much, the Boss design can make a little more power with a tune. I am not sure you will get much bang for your buck if you already own a Boss (different intake and tune compared to GT). Most people find that CAI doesn't help much I think. I feel like I maybe picked up some slight torque and that was it. Having a Boss already, the big power adders are the usual suspects (intake and exhaust cams, forced induction).

My main focus has been getting the power to the road efficiently- improving suspension, drivetrain, and weight balance. These cars have plenty of power, but Ford took some shortcuts in terms of getting that power to the road efficiently. I guess they maybe didn't care because they knew IRS was coming on the S550 and they wanted to test the new motor on the S197 before making the jump to IRS. Or maybe the American market segment prefers a smokey burnout over a breakneck launch. Reducing the mass of drivetrain components and then getting good traction is about as good as it gets for me at the moment.