Gutting smog pump! Help

ninety15.0

Mar 10, 2004
Hey guys im going home next weekend to get my car out of storage for the winter and bring it back out to college with me. :nice: Im already running no cats and i want to get rid of all the smog pump crap...hoses, checkvalves, blah blah. I know there are a couple guys on this forum that have their pumps gutted out but not removed and thats what i wanna do. So i was wondering what you did to gut out the pump and make it just freewheel?!?! :shrug: I dont wanna take it off because at some point i still need to pass emissions and they do a visual check and $hit, so it needs to be there. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i know this isnt what you wanted to do but im in the same boat and this is what i did

1 take off the smog pump and bracket and tubing that goes to the back of the head. and cap that off.
2 put it some where for when you need to go threw emissions
3 messure for the new belt you are about to buy
4 put your old belt with your smog pump
5 put on your new belt and your done

now when you need to go threw emissions it will just take a hour at most to get it ready to pass and you dont have that heavy and ugly smog pump cluttering your engine bay for 2 years.

He will have a exhaust leak from back of heads unless he gets plugs from ford, that is the biggest issue especially on stock heads with minor room to work with reaching back there and getting that crap out of heads is a PITA

Thanks alot for the responses, I know i need to plug the heads and take care of the air tube from the cats. thats not really a big problem. I just bought a new belt and dont really wanna spend the $$ for another one...the money could be better used somewhere else on the car. I know guys have gutted the pumps so they just freewheel so theres no drag, plus i really just wanna get all the lines, tubes, and valves out of the engine compartment. Thanks again if anyone else can help that would be awesome.

OK....while that is an excellent explanation of how to remove the air pump and i thank you for posting it...its not what im looking for. like i said above i just wanna remove all the lines, hoses, and check valves and then gut the pump so it just freewheels. that means that i would keep the stock belt route and setup and just leave the pump on there. does anyone know how to gut the pump? or im just gonna start ripping $hit out of it until it turns really easy!! haha thanks

ok look in order to "gut" it you are gonna have to back off the belt tensioner get under the car and remove the pump. you might have to have a special tool to pull off the pulley. then take out the insides should just be a few bolts but remeber how everything goes. So you can put it beack together. im just geing a 40 dollar free wheel and puting it on untill emissions.

The pump turns pretty freely the way it is. You could just let it suck air, I did that for a while. The real gaines come from the shorter belt. You can leave the pump on, but bypass it with a shorter belt. Then come emissions time all you have to do it change out the belt. Thats what I would do if we had testing.

Ok thanks...i know im going to need to get under the car, take the pump off and take it apart to gut it out i was just wondering if there were any tricks. the idea you have sounds pretty good too...just throwing a free wheel on there in its place, but i like the idea of this being free! thanks for all the info.

Thanks for the info and it kinda looks like everyone just runs the shortbelt huh? maybe i will just go with the crowd and do that too. how much is an 84.5" belt gonna cost me? basically i dont really care about the HP increase because there really isnt going to be one no matter what way i go. I just wanna get that crap out of the engine bay b/c its a ****** to change the plugs and wires with that crap in the way, plus it saves a little wieght.

also i didnt remove the tube from the back of the head cause i know how hard it is to put on and take of cause i have done it. but i just pluged where that tube ends and i took off the ruber hoses. if you did decide to take it off the back of the head a spark plug is the perfect size to close the hole up :) but like i said i just removed the ruber hose crap and smog pump and put it in a box till i need it again.