Handheld tuner recommendation

Bsullivan403

Oct 7, 2020
Tampa Florida
I just picked up an 03 GT. I believe it has 4:10 gears because my speedo is WAY off and it rips pretty good in the low end. I’m looking for a handheld tuner to recalibrate it, add a tune and be able to eliminate CEL if I go with catless x-pipe. I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews on bama tunes so what do you guys use? New to the mustang world. I know a dyno tune is best and will do that after I get a kenne belle SC. Thanks in advance

• Sponsors(?)

Nightfire

15 Year Member
Dec 1, 2002
TX
Stay away from Bama. For gears you dont need a "tune". You can select the gear ratio on the handheld alone. SCT used to be the go-to handheld, but more and more tuners are not supporting SCT. Everyone local to me prefers HP Tuners (for when you dyno-tune)

Lindenmooch

Oct 7, 2020
Pennsylvania
This isn't going to help, as it's contradictory to what was just said....buuuut. I had my mechanic absolutely beg me to get a Bama tuner. At 400 bucks with lifetime tunes, it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all to me. I haven't actually been able to pull the trigger on it yet, but I can see no reason not to, if you have a few hundred bucks to spend on a tuner. My mechanic has one for his SUPER clean Rousch stang, and he swears by it.

Nightfire

15 Year Member
Dec 1, 2002
TX
This isn't going to help, as it's contradictory to what was just said....buuuut. I had my mechanic absolutely beg me to get a Bama tuner. At 400 bucks with lifetime tunes, it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all to me. I haven't actually been able to pull the trigger on it yet, but I can see no reason not to, if you have a few hundred bucks to spend on a tuner. My mechanic has one for his SUPER clean Rousch stang, and he swears by it.

Just FYI, a "BAMA tuner" is an SCT tuner preloaded with tunes from BAMA Performance. The tunes brom BAMA are the problem......they are complete :poo: usually cause more problems than anything else

Lindenmooch

Oct 7, 2020
Pennsylvania
I had no idea. Thank you. I will reconsider my options if I ever decide to buy one. Maybe if I do some more mods. Right now it's pretty mild and runs great. Only thing I think I can tune right now is maybe the transmission to make it a touch snappier when shifting. It's kinda lazy right now....just livin that auto life.