Happy B-Day to me + UPS + Pics

CobraRed_96_GT

May 20, 2006
UCSD/La Jolla
Came today - B&M Hammer shifter and B&M Quicksilver Billet Knob. Going in asap:nice:

View attachment 373634
4t83ds1.jpg

4xmwcjk.jpg

6guhsnk.jpg

4kvb3er.jpg

Attachments

• 4t83ds1.jpg
    4t83ds1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 4xmwcjk.jpg
    4xmwcjk.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 6guhsnk.jpg
    6guhsnk.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 100
  • 4kvb3er.jpg
    4kvb3er.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Sponsors (?)

look at his sig ;)

ha, thanks streetstang. This is just for refrence:

transmission2qm5.jpg

B&M stacked plate 13x9" external supercooler
3200 stall Spec-Rite 10.5" torque converter
13 quarts of Mobil synthetic ATF
Performance overhaul kit
Hard input shaft
Hard intermediate shaft
Mechanical diode kit
Gasket and Seal Kit
Metal Clad Seals - steel boost valve and sleeve
Ring Kit
Stage II shift kit
Performance Clutches
Performance Kolene Steels
Thrust washer pump
Int. roller clutch
Case connector
Digital range sensor
EPC Solenoid
New and reworked performance valve body
Torrington thrust bearing kit
OD servo piston
Snap ring-overdrive DIR CL WAVE
Overdrive band
Bushing kit
Reverse servo piston and cover
Accumulator piston-direct
New 1-2 accumulator spring and upper/lower piston housing
New 2-3 accumulator spring/piston
New standard oil pan and filter
New shifting linkage and actuator
New speed sensor
Additional external tranny cooler line filter that is slotted for heat exchanging
New gear selector shift modual
All new VSS connectors
A Kooler Kleen flush

Attachments

• transmission2qm5.jpg
    transmission2qm5.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 86
I don't get it. What is this for. Do you have a stock automatic transmission. Or is it a drag trans. Well besides looking cool.

besides locking out P and R from any other gear (which is required for any track, tho stocker does this too), it lets you leave it in a selector mode where you can hit the shifter up to up shift - as you hit it it moves forward then springs back to it original position - then you keep hitting it up to keep up-shifting. Or hit it down to down shift and the same spring back to original position happens. So basically it lets you directly control gear selection and timing like paddle shifting does for many German cars except this is mechanical whereas those are electronic.
Furthermore, you can also leave it in drive mode and the tranny will do all of it's programmed shifts like always.

looks nice, do a write up...something I'm interested in. The only thing I find silly is why the handle is straight up :shrug: It's technically further away from the driver than the stocker. Or is the handle replaceable.... I'm trying to get a cheap stocker out of a yard so I can see if the handle can be cut off and refabricated to bring it back and left towards the drivers seat.

oh yea.....happy birthday....have a can of :spam: on me.

looks nice, do a write up...something I'm interested in. The only thing I find silly is why the handle is straight up :shrug: It's technically further away from the driver than the stocker. Or is the handle replaceable.... I'm trying to get a cheap stocker out of a yard so I can see if the handle can be cut off and refabricated to bring it back and left towards the drivers seat.

oh yea.....happy birthday....have a can of :spam: on me.

yeah, that's true. We'll see how it sits when it's in there. I think it'll be fine for me, im 6'1" so i got long arms

Nice new parts man, i noticed it came with a regular knob and a t-handle. Is the t-handle for racing or something?

the "regular" billet knob is B&M's quicksilver knob i got seperatley. The T handle comes w/ the shifter assembly, and conteurs to your hand really well actually, but i dont like the look T-handles or chome shift knobs - so i got the other handle - which i like (takes up most of your palm) but isnt cheap for some reason.

I would definitely be interested in seeing it in action. I'm planning on getting a ratchet shifter when I build my trans as well. Now that your transmission is built, does it shift into OD crisply like the other gears, or does it still slide (and sometimes clunk) into gear? Can you hit OD at full throttle without it breaking? Sorry for hijacking your thread...I hope it's not too off-topic.

The only thing I don't like is the location of the O/D button.

Couple questions:
What does that cost, btw? I like the idea of how it shifts :)

How far does it move forward/backward during the shifting process?

What's involved in the installation process? (how long does the instruction sheet specify?)

IIRC, that was only made for the 96-98 model years, or no?

Part number on the box?

Thanks.