Harmonic Balancer/Damper for IB 393

a91what

SendMeUrDataLog
Mod Dude
Apr 6, 2011
Hillsborough county
Hello all, I am currently trying to justify the cost of an IW damper for my 393 project with the flying magnet cover. It will cost twice as much as a traditional type balancer. I could just buy a nuetral balance pioneer balancer or the like and add a tone ring to the back of it, both are options.

What i really need to know is what is the real difference in performance in these very expensive dampers for a street car?? I dont want to be cheap on this important part but i also dont want to overspend.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

ah so issues then.... seems like all of them have stories like that. I just cannot bring myself to put a summit special on the new build.. The ATI looks like its expensive as well, are the back of them flat? I will need to be able to mount some kind of trigger wheel to it. the wheel is about 1/8 thick and i would preffer to not space all the accessories out but i will if i must.

I run a powerbond sfi 0 balance deal .

They are made by gates , shaped just like stock no spacers needed for pulley alignment or anything

Powerbond pb1086ss is the 0 balance one

Reactions: 1 user
This is the balancer that 2 out of 3 monsters recommend for monsters who run balancers...
The monster actually has the cheaper, non sfi of this one. Since hell never see 7000 rpm, and never see an NHRA sanctioned track...nobody's ever gonna need to see a sfi cert. Iron vs steel, and the better one looks to be rebuildable.
But, at twice the price. If you've ever seen the cheese bag balancer that comes on a 250, my 95 dollar SBF balancer is like a 500 dollar one though.

Last edited:
ah so issues then.... seems like all of them have stories like that. I just cannot bring myself to put a summit special on the new build.. The ATI looks like its expensive as well, are the back of them flat? I will need to be able to mount some kind of trigger wheel to it. the wheel is about 1/8 thick and i would preffer to not space all the accessories out but i will if i must.
if you call ATI they will build the trigger wheel into the cover

The instructions read just like the ford and trickflow balancers.... likely all the same.

How did you mount your trigger wheel mike?
My balancer ( like the one pictured) is solid. I mounted my wheel with recessed head screws drilled and tapped right into the back side of the balancer. Then had it put on a lathe, and trued for any out of roundness.