Harmonic Balancer

68-5SP

Dec 1, 2015
I have a '68 Mustang,but I changed the motor from a 289 to a '71 302 and changed the C4 to a T5. The engine developed a clack, clack noise and when I took it apart 3 pistons are scored, so I have to replace all the pistons as well as the cam. (one lobe wore). But my question is, when I removed the harmonic balancer it is a E4TE-A3A 4 bolt, which I think is a 50 oz. On a '71 302, should it not be a 28.2oz?
The flywheel is 157 tooth 28oz imbalance.
Also, when I checked the crank it had M1 on it, so I think it is a 289 crank. Engine also came with 351 windsor heads because of the high dome pistons that were installed. (.030 over)
Thanks

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I have a '68 Mustang,but I changed the motor to a '71 302 and changed the C4 to a T5. The engine developed a clack, clack noise and when I took it apart 3 pistons are scored, so I have to replace all the pistons as well as the cam. (one lobe wore). But my question is, when I removed the harmonic balancer it is a E4TE-A3A 4 bolt, which I think is a 50 oz. On a '71 302, should it not be a 28.2oz?
Thanks

Moved your thread in here. You're likely to find that answer in this forum.

Can't find my way around this site. Looks like I had a reply from Noobz347, but I can't find it. Maybe I can find my own reply and try and get my @%& together.

The 71 should be a 28 oz balancer and flexplate/flywheel. There are both three and four bolt 28 oz units. My 79 Capri came with a 28 oz four bolt balance. The setup in my 82 is all 28 oz four bolt stuff. The 80 Capri parts car that supplied the K member had a 50oz 255 v8.

Thanks. You confirmed what I thought. Now it's which make of balancer to use. The range in price from $100 to &500. Any ideas? Have to get the stroke measured. It's a '71 302 with 351 windsor heads and the crank has M1 on it, so I think it is a 289 crank. I don't know if the rods were changed. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Thanks. You confirmed what I thought. Now it's which make of balancer to use. The range in price from $100 to &500. Any ideas? Have to get the stroke measured. It's a '71 302 with 351 windsor heads and the crank has M1 on it, so I think it is a 289 crank. I don't know if the rods were changed. Thanks for your help.
Now I'm trying to get the heater core out. (one of the pipes came out with the heater hose). Can you remove the clips on the heater box and split it open, or does the whole thing have to be removed. I have the nuts off on the firewall in the engine bay, but doesn't seem to move.
Pull the heater box .I have never fixed a heater core in the car ,it is way easier with the box out .Unless you have factory air and that is a pain in the butt no mater how you do it .