Engine Harmonic balancer

Would a better quality balancer than the power product’s street HB I got from local auto parts store make any difference in the “smoothness” of the engine? Will it extend the life of engine.. not that it vibrates terribly now (I have new poly mounts also) but I’m wondering if it would be money well spent..?
Anyone??
BTW 88 GT W/306, stock crank, eagle ‘sir’ rods, forged pistons, good valvetrain Good H/C/I combo.. car made 347 to wheels when tuned.
Thanks

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Balancers are designed for the rpm range that they are used in. A normal parts store or factory balancer is not optimum at higher rpms. Over time they can also spin and get off balance.

The money well spent is getting the rotating assembly balanced before installation.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Balancers are designed for the rpm range that they are used in. A normal parts store or factory balancer is not optimum at higher rpms. Over time they can also spin and get off balance.

The money well spent is getting the rotating assembly balanced before installation.

Which I did, with said balancer... so I suppose the short answer is not really huh? I can see how a better made one could cut down on additional “harmonics” so I thought perhaps it would absorb some of vibrations that are going to be happening at some degree in any engine I’d think?
So that would surely mean you can’t swap to an aluminum flywheel either without throwing of your original balance??
I thought the 50oz “imbalance?” Had to do with balancer and flywheel.. I assumed the balance I had at machine shop was more balancing the rod/piston setup but it was balanced with my balancer and flywheel so I guess I’m wrong..
Thanks

The imbalance of a 50oz flywheel is the same if its steel or aluminum. The rotating mass decreases with a light weight flywheel or front balancer. The car will free rev faster but it can hurt the performance. In order to overcome clutch engagement it needs rotating mass. Less mass mean faster rev....but also faster slowing of the crank. The load from the clutch, transmission, and rear can make the car bog easier at the initial point of engagement.

50oz is 50oz. My balancer is billet steel....so is my flywheel. My 331 is balanced and my balancer and flywheel are 50oz imbalance. Balancing a rotating assembly is way beyond my technical knowledge. I do know the rods and pistons are balanced on a scale. The crank, balancer, and flywheel are spin balanced as an assembly.

A replacement balancer would have the matching counter for the 50oz imbalance no? So even though the spin it when balancing rotating assembly if they remove/add weight it was to rods or crank but needed for H Balancer and flywheel to correctly balance said rotating assembly... so if I get a balancer for a 50oz imbalance sbf would it not weigh the same..? I’m confused