Harmonic Damper (balancer - whatever) question

67topless

Mar 31, 2006
Raleigh, NC
I want to pull my damper off to clean it up or maybe even replace it. I originally bought a cheap one and didn't put any clear coat over it so now it is all rusted over and I can't read the degree markings to check my timing.

My question is, does the damper slide off somewhat easily once all the hardware is removed, or is it pressed on pretty good. In other words, how difficult is it to remove with the engine installed?

Scott

• Sponsors (?)

You will need a puller to remove the balancer, make sure that you use one that attaches to the holes where the pulley mounts. A jaw puller may just slide the outer ring off and ruin your dampener. Another thing to be care full is to avoid having the threaded portion of the puller screw up the threads in your crankshaft. Most pullers come with a disc that centers it and avoids this problem.

You should seriously consider using an installer tool when you put it back together. Tapping it in place with a hammer is not a good idea, think of the thrust bearing on your crankshaft. Both the puller and installer should be available for rent at a nearby Autozone.

My old balancer was really rusty... I just took a sheet of sandpaper and sanded the outer surface, so that the timing marks were still rusty. I was able to time it like that :rlaugh:

66HertzClone said:
You will need a puller to remove the balancer, make sure that you use one that attaches to the holes where the pulley mounts. A jaw puller may just slide the outer ring off and ruin your dampener. Another thing to be care full is to avoid having the threaded portion of the puller screw up the threads in your crankshaft.

I'll back that up. I just take an old damper bolt with no washer and let the puller push on that. Slides right off, but I usually oil the crank snout before installing anything.

I also put a bead of silicone under the washer so oil doesn't creep around it.