Has anyone ever heard of a piston recall?

mat82284

Jul 31, 2003
Ok, I dont know what to think, is my mechanic being slow on purpose or what. First week no parts, Second week wrong pistons, Third week has everything but finds my timing tentioners bad and orders a set, forth week he tells me he has wrong size freeze plugs and will be a week before he can get them, I found all 8 and told him i had them today, then he tells me he has bad news and the pistons have to be removed from the block and sent back do to a recall. Its just one problem after another and im about to go insane because it was my daily driver and i was promised the car after 2 weeks now its been a month and counting.

Has anyone ever heard of a piston recall? I'm about ready to just head to his house with the ford parts and tell him to put it together with the pistons he has already. He's at work and we just text back and forth, but i have yet to hear from him once i said i want to know what pistons he bought to call the company about the recall. He probably wont text back till later, but ill post what pistons they are. If he doesn't give me a name them i'm going to have major issues with him.

How does a recall work i mean what if the car was already back together and there was a recall, wouldn't the company be responsible to have to pay to have them removed and reinstalled? Or are the owners just **** out of luck because who would pay labor to remove a recalled piston when labor costs more that the pistons.

• Sponsors (?)

what kind of pistons are you using? never heard of a recall on OEM pistons for that application. also what kind of engine builder, once measuring everything out waits to order parts as they are doing the job. i refuse to even start a project unless i have everything in my hands.

what kind of pistons are you using? never heard of a recall on OEM pistons for that application. also what kind of engine builder, once measuring everything out waits to order parts as they are doing the job. i refuse to even start a project unless i have everything in my hands.

Im not sure what pistons they are, i have left a message with him to call me and tel me so i hope to hear from him soon. He is building an engine for me that can support 800+rwhp and i just had him order all the parts as i thought it would be easier and now im thinking otherwise. The pistons are already in the block and im at the point of telling him to just keep them in there. I have never heard of a piston recall, especially from an aftermarket piston. I wouldn't even know what could cause the pistons to have to be recalled. I 'm just wondering if anyone has heard about any piston being recalled before.

Technically if there was a recall wouldn't the company that sells the pistons be liable for the cost of labor to have them removed and exchanged?

Aftermarket companies are not going to pay for labor costs, they will pay for the replacement parts but not the labor. Just the way it goes.

Sounds to me that your engine builder is just trying to buy time. He may have took on more jobs than he can handle at the moment.

you dont know what parts are going in your engine?!?!?!

i have a bad feeling you are about to pay a LOT of money for a really crappy engine!

Well i know he is installing a Cobra crank, Forged H beam rods and Forged pistons, but i just dont know what brand they are. I didn't realize brand mattered to much honestly. He told me manly but i dont know if he got manly back after he got the wrong size piston, but before i pay him he is has to provide me with all receipts to all parts and has to support at least 800rwhp. even though I'm only aiming for 500. After i told him all that he ordered what he needed to. I trusted him to buy quality parts so I'm sure he did. I'm trust trying to figure out if he's telling the truth about a so called recall or he has no funds so he is postponing it.

Don't text your engine builder. Call him. Texting allows him time to think up ways to give you the run around. You are paying him money for a service an should be talking to him directly, not texting him like he's your BFF and you want to go to the mall.

probe lists nothing on their webpage about a recall on pistons. do you have a signed workorder or any paperwork of any kind?

im sorry but if i was spending that much money on an engine build, i would want to know the exact parts used, dont necessarily need receipts, and they arent required to give you any, but empty boxes with assembly pictures are enough for me. also any competent builder should be contacting you on a regular basis, ie every day or 2, with progress and pictures at your request.