Has anyone ran or currently using these?

03_TrueBlue_GT

May 5, 2010
Houston, Tx
Well my Nitto NT555's are pretty close to the tread bar and I need replacements in a little while. I was just going to go with NT555's again but one of my friends has Goodyear Eagle GT (W) tires on his Mustang and the tread pattern looks a lot cooler than the Nittos and he said he likes them a lot. Do any of y'all like these tires or have had experience with them? I want good and bad responses bc tires are really important to me and dont want to waste my money on the wrong tires. I also thought about going with the Goodyears bc I can get more mileage out of them compared to my Nittos...

gy_eagle_gt_ci2_l.jpg

Goodyear Eagle GT (W)

Attachments

• gy_eagle_gt_ci2_l.jpg
    gy_eagle_gt_ci2_l.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Sponsors (?)

You are comparing apples to oranges here. The Nitto 555 is a performance summer tire, and the Goodyear Eagle is an all season tire. You will have better traction with the 555, hands down. If I'm not mistaken, the 555 is cheaper too.

Are these the only two tires you are debating on? Plenty of decent tires out there to choose from. I used to run Kumho Ecsta's when I needed an all season tire. You can't beat the longevity of this tire. Doesn't hook anywhere near the Nitto though.

Kumho Ecsta ASX

I'm also curious about this ... :nice:

Yea, I just want to compare how many I got out of mine to how many others are getting out of theirs.

For reference, I got 37,000 miles out of mine. That was with a 255 width on a 9 inch wheel (should be a 275), no alignment at any time during their lifespan (front end was COMPLETELY worn out when I replaced them), and around 200 track passes on them. I'd say that's pretty good for a summer performance tire. I bought another set to replace them, only in a 275 width and with an alignment this time. No complaints. :nice:

those tires are rock hard.

i highly recommend hankook V12 EVO tires. they are fantastic. nearly as good as pirelli P-zeros my car came with.

Ok thanks for that suggestion I will give it a look.:nice:

sneaky98gt Out of curiosity, how many miles did you get out of your Nittos?

So far I have 25,000 miles on them... I do drive spiritedly and I go to the track every once in a while... Plus I have done some burnouts with them... These tires arent done yet, I can at least get 4-5 months of driving out of them before I absolutely must have to get new tires...

Maxpowers You are comparing apples to oranges here. The Nitto 555 is a performance summer tire, and the Goodyear Eagle is an all season tire. You will have better traction with the 555, hands down. If I'm not mistaken, the 555 is cheaper too.

Are these the only two tires you are debating on? Plenty of decent tires out there to choose from. I used to run Kumho Ecsta's when I needed an all season tire. You can't beat the longevity of this tire. Doesn't hook anywhere near the Nitto though.

I just wanted to see if these tires were better than the Nittos, I know that they will probably last a lot longer than the Nittos but I wanted to see how bad of a trade off I will have in traction with these tires...
Im currently looking at these tire choices and am open to suggestions...

-Nitto 555's *I really like these tires and I dont have to worry about snow where Im at so I used them all year..*

- The Goodyears I posted

-BFG G Force Sports

Im looking for a tire that can help me the most with launches with my 3.73 gears because they spin my Nittos like crazy in 1st through 2nd if I floor it... I never had the the gears in the car when I got the nittos new so I dont know how well they will stand up the the 3.73's vs the stock 3.27's.. I love my Nittos but I just wanted to see if anyone had a suggestion for what tires to use with gears on the street... I know at the track that I would need some DRs to hook properly but I want a tire that can at least stand up at the track for a DD....
Im looking to keep the cost around 500-600 dollars for new tires.

I put the nittos on at 63,500 and I'm at 89K now and still have plenty more miles to go with mine. I don't think I will get a different set of tires for my car while its still a DD. I've gotten more out of the performance tires than I have the all-seasons.

Yea, I just want to compare how many I got out of mine to how many others are getting out of theirs.

For reference, I got 37,000 miles out of mine. That was with a 255 width on a 9 inch wheel (should be a 275), no alignment at any time during their lifespan (front end was COMPLETELY worn out when I replaced them), and around 200 track passes on them. I'd say that's pretty good for a summer performance tire. I bought another set to replace them, only in a 275 width and with an alignment this time. No complaints. :nice:

Thats pretty good! I'm at 23,000 miles on mine right now. I've got maybe 6 track passes, and I don't drive very aggressively on the street. Nitto claims these have 10/32" tread depth stock. I'm at 6/32". So essentially, I should be able to get another 23,000 miles out of them, "theoretically" before I need to replace them. If I can get 37,000 miles out of them, I'll be happy. That's what I got out of the stock Goodyears.

By completely worn out, do you mean at 2/32", completely smooth, belts showing, etc?

So far I have 25,000 miles on them... I do drive spiritedly and I go to the track every once in a while... Plus I have done some burnouts with them... These tires arent done yet, I can at least get 4-5 months of driving out of them before I absolutely must have to get new tires...

Make a burnout video for us for a final good-bye? :shrug:

Oh and to the OP, I'd suggest going with a Summer only tire, especially since you don't get snow in Houston. If you push your car or go to the track occasionally, I don't think you will be happy with an all-season compound. If I were you, I would go with Nitto 555s again. IMO, of course. Let us know what you decide to go with.

Trust me I would love to get some Nitto 555R's but I need a tire that can last a lot longer....

So the Goodyears I posted aren't that good compared to the Nittos at all? Basically what are the good things about the Goodyears? Sorry I just want to know how much of a difference would there be compared to the Nittos... I do realize that the Goodyears are all seasons and the Nittos are summer but other than that I dont know what makes one so much better than the other...

Sorry Im a slow learner...:(

those tires are rock hard.

i highly recommend hankook V12 EVO tires. they are fantastic. nearly as good as pirelli P-zeros my car came with.

The Hankooks are awesome. I had a deal worked out with Discount tire
for 4 GY Eagle tires but when I got there they were the wrong size.
They had the Hankooks in stock so I took em. They are ever bit as good as
the Nitto 555's. Saved a bunch of $$$$.
newwheels8-11003.jpg

Attachments

• newwheels8-11003.jpg
    newwheels8-11003.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 142
I have the firestone firehawk wide oval... Havnt tested them in the rain because it no longer rains in Texas. As far as traction, horrible. Any blip of the throttle and they break loose. I know these were not mentioned, but the only experience I have right now is which tires not to buy.

mpared to the Nittos at all? Basically what are the good things about the Goodyears? Sorry I just want to know how much of a difference would there be compared to the Nittos... I do realize that the Goodyears are all seasons and the Nittos are summer but other than that I dont know what makes one so much better than the other...

Sorry Im a slow learner...:(

I already told you, the two do not compare. All season tires have a different tread pattern so they can be used in the snow. They usually are much harder and last longer. Summer tires are good for two things: dry and wet traction. They give up all benefits of other tires to excel in traction. The compound is usually much softer and wears out faster.

A good all season tire can last for 40k where a summer tire will normally last less depending on how you drive.

If you have the extra cash, buy a summer tire, or a drag radial if the car doesn't get driven much.

Ok thanks everyone I'm going to stick to a summer rated tire then. Im really interested in getting the Hankooks or the Nittos NT555's...

Can't speak on the Hankooks, but the Nittos are great. Look at the price and read some reviews before making your decision.

I have the Khumos I listed above on the rear of my car and the Nitto 555's on the front. They are the same size, so I'm waiting for the all season to wear out. The front stays planted like no other compared to the rear, even without any acceleration.

I had nittos on the car before I put the gears in and ever since I put the gears in I have a hard time launching without spinning them. The nittos had about 17,000 miles on them though when I did the gear swap. I'm just wondering if I buy the nittos if they will hook up better because they are new or will they still spin like crazy.