Has anyone used Nite Shades on their late fox?

87GT5SPD

Jun 7, 2009
Well, I was just looking into taillight options since my '87 came with those black altezza's or whatever they are called but they aren't really my style. I am looking into getting some stock non-GT(no louvers)taillights and using VHT Nite Shades to tint them black. I searched on here and other places for awhile but I really can't find any pics of them at all, especially on a black car like mine and a late fox hatch. If anyone here has pics or have tinted theirs please post pics or comment what you all think about the idea. Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

where did you find the paint? No one sells it here in So Cali so it looks like i have to order it so I have placed this project on hold... If you search on google you will find a ton of "how to's" out there.

You can get it on ebay and from Summit Racing I know, but besides that I don't have a clue since I don't even have factory tails yet let alone the spray. By the way, if anyone is looking to trade their stockers for the black euros I have or whatever they are called let me know.

I think the 85-86 style lenses would look better tinted than the LX lenses. I like when people put a light coat of tint on the lenses, rather than full on black. ..Then throw a layer of clear coat on the nightshades since it has a flat finsh to it.

:stupid: or buy the clear lx tails and tint those
I did it to my 98 explorer back in the day, use a scotch soft pad to rough the surface first then clean it well, and spray light coats, I messed up you have to spray many light coats should take 5 or 6 coats just to get even but if you take your time it wont run on you.

I do not like the look. The blacked tail lights were big when plastic blackouts came out, but now I think foxes look better with a nice set of new LX tail lights or Cobra lights. Especially on black cars. There needs to be a little contrast with these cars. I see too many people doing bad jobs of spraying the stuff. If you choose to do it, do a very light coat or don't do it at all. Here in the midwest, police will pull you over in a heartbeat, especially tail lights, just my opinion...

Well thanks for all of the comments guys. I understand the whole safety point of view as well as trying not to get pulled over but around here everyone is running around with either those euro lights or the old school black covers. I think as far as the cops go I would have just as good a chance of getting pulled over for the euros around here. Also the Nite Shades lets the light come through the lenses so well at night that you can't even tell you have them. During the day they aren't as good but really I am not that worried. I had a Nissan Hardbody pickup with a V8 that the taillights weren't working in for a couple weeks until I knew it. I will look into the 85-86 lenses and what are the cobra tails? Thanks again everyone.