Has anyone used Seafoam on their 5.0?

• Sponsors (?)

i'll only believe this **** works when someone takes a tired 5.0 to the dragstrip, runs their car, does the seafoam thing, and then runs their car again.

if i dont see a reasonable change in e/t or mph then im calling bs.

the whole "my car feels faster" seat of the pants thing just cant be justified

Seafoam Question

I put 1/2 of the can in through the Brake Boost Line and 1/2 in the oil, but i had a problem. While i was sucking the fluid through the vac line my friend who was behind the wheel let the car die, so he quickly started it back up and sucked the rest in. Right after the bottle finished i looked back and there was a crapload of smoke pouring out of the tailpipes. It was my understanding that this should not happen until you let it sit for 5-10 minutes. So we shut the car off and let it sit, when we started it back up in 10 minutes there was a huge puff of smoke but it only lasted for like 15-20 seconds max. My car is a '90 GT with 116K miles on it, the previous owner said he had taken very good care of it since the day he bought it new from the dealership. I don't think I did anything wrong, I plan on buying another 2 cans and putting one in the fuel tank and another 1/2-3/4 in the Vac line to see if it works any better. Does anyone know why it did this?

And also, before I put anything in the engine i noticed white smoke coming out of the exhaust in a steady flow. When i revv'd the engine the ground would become wet from something coming out of the exhaust. My friend said it stopped after we put the Seafoam in and ran it around after we waited the 10 minutes but i haven't seen for myself. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks a lot!

My friend brought over his 2004 350z and it smoked for a solid 5-10 minutes, while my Stang only smoked for a couple this time...what gives? I thought it would smoke longer since it should be a lot more dirtier than his car.

DRock9 said:
My friend brought over his 2004 350z and it smoked for a solid 5-10 minutes, while my Stang only smoked for a couple this time...what gives? I thought it would smoke longer since it should be a lot more dirtier than his car.

How 'dirty' an engine is has less to do with how old the engine is, and more to do with how well maintained the car is.
How it was driven, quality of oil and fuel, etc.

jason

DRock9 said:
I know but don't you think that no matter how well maintained a 116K engine is that it won't be cleaner than one with only 42K?

I'm hoping that this question was asked in jest. :rlaugh:

Internally, the motor I removed from my car with roughly 160,000 miles on it was as clean as the day it was born. Clean oil, no deposits, and very little carbon buildup on the piston heads and valves. Machined part wise, it was very nice.

I have however, seen some very low mileage engines in all shapes and forms where the owner thought the engine assembly was a sealed unit and that oil need only be changed when you sold the car. Those engines typically have more sludge buildup in them than I could could describe well enough to make you understand. Imagine having to clean out a lifter valley with a putty knife. :(

Ah ok i see, I'm only 18 so i haven't gotten much hands-on experience with cars yet...only what ive learned by reading every day for hours. My friend told me that my engine would be a lot weaker than the day it was sold because it had a lot of buildup in it...but then again I should have known better than to trust his word as he is one of those Ricer Boys who think that the only thing they can do to a car is intake and exhaust.

Thanks for the clarification!