Has anyone used Seafoam on their 5.0?

cobra2798

Mar 30, 2005
Clermont, Florida
I used this stuff on my 01 Cobra and the results were great and the SN-95 guys rave about it. I was wondering if anyone used it on a 5.0. Im a little worried that maybe this engine will react different. I just got the car and it has 128k on it and figured it could use a good cleaning out. Another ?, where is the PVC on these cars?

• Sponsors (?)

yea i have worked the first time and then i did it again and it kills your o2 sensor's and your ACT sensor even thow it says SAFE for o2 sensor's trust me its not and i ran it threw my vacum line and fuel tank it fauls them out i wouldent use it more than once on a 5.0

Oh and i have a 90 LX with a 347 stroker.

RoadKill96 said:
yea i have worked the first time and then i did it again and it kills your o2 sensor's and your ACT sensor even thow it says SAFE for o2 sensor's trust me its not and i ran it threw my vacum line and fuel tank it fauls them out i wouldent use it more than once on a 5.0

While tuneing with the megasquirt I had some rich issues that I had to adress. I can only imagine that my combustion chambers were caked with carbon deposits…as I went through several sets of plugs after fouling them.

Soooooo…in went a can of seafoam (I got a lil happy with the brake booster vacuum suction) and out went a whole slew of carbon deposits. The smoke show put out was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. I was a bit nervous seeing as this was done in my apartment complex parking lot. Anywho…no issues with any sensors here (I run a wideband), and it cleaned the piss out of the plugs to boot!

Someone posted on here a couple weeks ago that Seafoam destroyed their valve stem seals. This didn't happen to me, so I'm not swearing by it, it's just something that was mentioned on here. Hopefully that person will post their experience.

How do you properly regulate the flow through the vacuum line? It seems like it would suck the can dry like a straw...

Jeff

Just run a couple of tanks of gas with acetone in it. It won't harm anything, it reduces hydrocarbon emissions big time and it will really clean the engine out and should not have any negative effects. I've done it before and it works. the correct ratio is 1 oz. acetone for every 4 gallons. And yes I know there was the big thread about acetone helping fuel mileage, but I personally liked the cleaning effect it had on my engine more than anything else.

Well I just did the seafoam and WOW! My car has a 128k on it and it must have been really dirty in there, one hell of a smoke show. I ran 1/2 can through the BB line let it sit for 1/2 hour and then cranked it over. massive smoke show and then took it out and tore it up. What an improvement. The car accelerates so much smoother and it feels like it has gotten back some lost power. Should I use the rest of the can in the crankcase or just leave it alone? All together Im very happy with the results:nice:

RoadKill96 said:

And you pulled this info outta where? your ass? thats what I thought.

Not that I know of. People have used it in different applications since the 70's and every research study I've read about it concludes that it has no negative effects on the lubricity of an engine. Most peopel are concerned with putting it in their tanks today because they are worried about it softening platic pars and rubber seals, but it's so diluted in the tank is will not do anything.

I dont understand how some people can say the Seafoam did wonders for thier car and others say it did nothing. Could it be that the people who got no results didnt really need to use it? As in thier engine was not dirty inside? I just dont get how the testimonials can be so different on the same cars.

cobra2798 said:
I dont understand how some people can say the Seafoam did wonders for thier car and others say it did nothing. Could it be that the people who got no results didnt really need to use it? As in thier engine was not dirty inside? I just dont get how the testimonials can be so different on the same cars.

Generally speaking…the more carbon deposits you have in the combustion chambers the more you'll notice an effect. In the same token, adding good ole h20 to the vacuum source would accomplish similar results…although perhaps not quite as through.

As far as 02 sensors go…they claim them to be 02 safe and actually tout to cleanse them. As stated before, I left my wideband in and it caused no ill effects.

i used it on my old motor. Blew a *****load of smoke out. Not sure if this had anything to do with it, but about a month later I was getting mad blowby in cylinder 4 and burning about 1 quart in a 1 1/2 weeks and I yanked the engine out.

I know this is a domestic forum and I own a domestic and and import but i ran Seafoam through my Import and it worked really well. I clears EVERYTHING up. My roomate ran it through his 86 and it did the same. The only prob is that we only put it through the gas and Oil. You are supposed to put it through you vaccuum tube too. The stuff works just ba carefull cause it has created holes if you have em..