Has anyone used this Suspension Kit?

• Sponsors (?)

i cant comment on that kit, but make sure you use name brand parts(ball joint). i got some from another company and after all the work the drivers upper was no good, had too much play, so now i have to send it back, and have the car down while they replace it.

Also, i like the Edelbrock shocks a lot more then the Kill Your Back shocks.The ride is a lit nicer

I got the Depot kit. After installing the front springs the front sat up like 3-4 inches higher than original. I dont know if I am the only one who this has happened to, but a chop saw took care of the ride height problems. Other than that it went in fine and is probly a good buy if your on a budget.

I dont know how the edelbrocks ride, but they gotta be better than KYB, especially for daily drivin.

Tyler

I have the street heat package from Mustangs Plus. First let me say, I love the kit. It was easy to install and my fastback NEVER handled better. It could actually go around a corner without leaning and actually stuck to the road. I was very impressed.
With regards to the height after the install of the kit, well it did sit a bit high but I wasn't sure if the kit returned it to stock height after years of spring settle. Now, knowing I wanted my car to sit considerably lower than stock I order the 5 leaf reverse eye leafs and stayed with the 620 front springs. I also added a 1" lowering block in the rear and painted it black to hide it.

I installed the entire kit and let it sit for about six months to settle. Then I pulled the front apart again and started cuting the coil springs. I had to do it twice to get the height where I wanted compared to the rear.

Here's a pic of what it looked like after the first install and one after I was done 6 months later. BTW, you probably don't have to wait like I did but I orignally thought it would settle to a much lower height. The rear did take some time to settle. The first pics don't really show it, but all I've done to the rear was the reverse eyes and the 1" lowering block.

before:
rollin7sj.gif

after:
maincopy640x4800in.jpg

If you decide to go with the Mustangs Plus kit ask for either the standard, mid, or reverse eye leafs to help get the ride height you are looking for (no cost difference). They have some pics in their catalog to show you about what it will look like with each.

Good luck!

Attachments

• rollin7sj.gif
    rollin7sj.gif
    74.3 KB · Views: 54
  • maincopy640x4800in.jpg
    maincopy640x4800in.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 69
XXBULLETSXX said:
Then I pulled the front apart again and started cuting the coil springs. I had to do it twice to get the height where I wanted compared to the rear.

How much did you cut until you got the ride height that you wanted? I would most likely get the mid-eye and just add a lowering block if needed. I am looking at having a 17x9.5 in back and 17x8 in the front.

Thanks everyone for the info.:nice:

Wow, that's a nice looking car. That's pretty much the ride height I want with the size wheels I want. Is there any rubbing up front? Let me get this straight, all you did up front in addition to the kit was cut the coils?

SoCal69GT said:
How much did you cut until you got the ride height that you wanted? I would most likely get the mid-eye and just add a lowering block if needed. I am looking at having a 17x9.5 in back and 17x8 in the front.

Thanks everyone for the info.:nice:

I'm running 17X8's in the front and the back. If you decide to go larger in the back you really need to research your clearences because there isn't much room between the fender and the leafspring.
I cut 1 full coil off to get where my car is. But, don't use that as a reference because each spring set is different and how mine responded doesn't mean yours will respond the same way. What I did was I cut a half a coil to start with and measured the difference and then cut another half coil off to arrive where I'm currently at.

xj220 said:
Wow, that's a nice looking car. That's pretty much the ride height I want with the size wheels I want. Is there any rubbing up front? Let me get this straight, all you did up front in addition to the kit was cut the coils?
That's it. I cut the front coils to acheive the ride height I wanted.

You both should do the Shelby drop first before you start cutting springs. That will supposedly lower your front end about 3/4" by itself. I don't really believe that, but I've heard it does greatly improve the steering. Just something to think about. I haven't done it yet, but that's what 1" insulators are for right?

I used the Grab a Trac kit with 620 drop springs and standard springs that come with the kit for the rear. I like the car to sit slightly raked back to front. By measurements under the rocker rail, it is 10 1/2" high in the back just before the wheel, and 91/2" up front just behind the front wheel. I have 17x8's with 235 45 R17 tires all around. But every car sits diff. with that kit; for example I have a convert. which is lighter so it will sit higher, slightly, than a heavier coupe. I would have liked to have picked the drop rear springs and cut a bit off the coils up front to get it a little lower, but what is an inch, speed bumps become a challenge any lower???:shrug:

Forgot to say that I have the KYB Gas Adjust and before I tore the car appart, I drove it for a couple of months with this setup and I thought I rode quite nice. Then again, I spend 90% of my time driving an F250 Super Duty so anything will feel good to my kidney's.

Hey SoCal, Have you already been able to pull off the old rear leafs? When you get to the point where you are beating the front bolt out. Or at least trying... If they are original, good luck... a piece of advice. Give the bolt a few raps and if it does not budge, don't waste anymore effort on it. Use a sawsall with Carbide cutting blades, you will need 4, two each side.

I did the: beat on the bolt with a big hammer, used an air hammer, beat on it again, used a torch to melt the bushing a little then beat on it again, process. Waste of your time, knuckles, and blood pressure. :bang: Just cut the bolt and be done with it. Enjoy the ride!!

68converted said:
Hey SoCal, Have you already been able to pull off the old rear leafs? When you get to the point where you are beating the front bolt out. Or at least trying... If they are original, good luck... a piece of advice. Give the bolt a few raps and if it does not budge, don't waste anymore effort on it. Use a sawsall with Carbide cutting blades, you will need 4, two each side.

I did the: beat on the bolt with a big hammer, used an air hammer, beat on it again, used a torch to melt the bushing a little then beat on it again, process. Waste of your time, knuckles, and blood pressure. :bang: Just cut the bolt and be done with it. Enjoy the ride!!
Ditto, Front eye bolts are a bitch