Hatch leaking when rains!! help desperate plz! i need these look

savegoodautonfg

May 11, 2005
This is'nt my mustang but i figured out what im missing and it might be the reason why im having problems like i am. my hatch is getting soaken wet from the rain and its leaking bad thru all the cracks.

The yellow arrows points to the black trim i need. I need it all the way around. Does anyone have this, im desperate plz. I hope you all see the trim im talking about.

hatch0of.png

Attachments

• hatch0of.png
    hatch0of.png
    7 KB · Views: 109
  • Sponsors (?)

like in the other post...i think it is whatever seals the actual glass down....anyone know if it is butyl rubber tape stuff like in the windsheild??

i guess if you take off the trim on the outside, then you may be able to seal it up inbetween the glass and the hatch..

If thats the piece i think it is, its more of a square hard rubber piece that goes on the inside lip of the hatch glass.. mine came loose and it is a pain in the ding ding to get it back up there.. i had to put some silicone in the chanel and hold up one side while a friend slapped some tape up there, then did the same to the other sides. it looked like someone had fixed it before, and the heat down here made it work itself loose... but i believe you can use a roller (similar to a roller you use for putting new rubber in a screen door to mount the screen to the frame..... damnit im o a loritab right now, and i cannot get the words out of my mouth... but yeah, i know what that is, and its not the normal hatch weatherstripping that goes on the outside edge

savegoodautonfg said:
Yea but those pieces its pointing too on my mustang are missing. I dont even have the inside trim the arrows are showing.

ok, i splashed some cold water on my face, and while im thinking clearly.......

there is a rubber seal that goes between the hatch glass, and the metal frame of the hatch. if you dont have it, you need one. its a real pain in the ass to put it in there unless you have something like a thin roller or something to force it in there.

FarBeyondDriven said:
ok, i splashed some cold water on my face, and while im thinking clearly.......

there is a rubber seal that goes between the hatch glass, and the metal frame of the hatch. if you dont have it, you need one. its a real pain in the ass to put it in there unless you have something like a thin roller or something to force it in there.

Where can i get those pieces?

i know what it looks like, so ill look around and see if i can find it.. but if you call someone, you could probably just tell them that its the rubber piece that seals the hatch glass to the hatch frame on the inside...

and per what i was saying in the PM

i would think that if that is not there on the inside, then your outside weatherstripping is failing somewhere as well. that inside piece is like a secondary seal in case the outside seal fails. if you just silicone it, you might have water trapped between the inside and outside seal, causing it to rust... if you have an air hose, i would have someone sit inside the hatch, then close it... you sit on the outside with an air hose, and apply some air pressure around the outside seal... see if dude inside can tell where the outside leak is coming from. then you may be able to seal the outside and prevent it from ever reaching the inside seal.

FarBeyondDriven said:
i know what it looks like, so ill look around and see if i can find it.. but if you call someone, you could probably just tell them that its the rubber piece that seals the hatch glass to the hatch frame on the inside...

and per what i was saying in the PM

i would think that if that is not there on the inside, then your outside weatherstripping is failing somewhere as well. that inside piece is like a secondary seal in case the outside seal fails. if you just silicone it, you might have water trapped between the inside and outside seal, causing it to rust... if you have an air hose, i would have someone sit inside the hatch, then close it... you sit on the outside with an air hose, and apply some air pressure around the outside seal... see if dude inside can tell where the outside leak is coming from. then you may be able to seal the outside and prevent it from ever reaching the inside seal.

You say rubber piece not pieces. Doesnt it go along the whole hatch inside like a box?

I'm pretty sure those are just trim pieces to make the inside look finished. The actual seal is between the glass and the hatch on the outside. My trim piece shrunk in the corners and is about 6" short of joining up. I cut it and pushed it back in, no leaks here.

Don

That is not a seal but a dam to keep the urethane from squeezing onto the glass during assy. If you show water spots running down the glass then you need to remove the outside trim and seal with new urethane(NOT Silicone). Are you sure your not leaking from the rear spoiler holes which is also common.