Having restart issues

Rjaaaaaa

Jul 11, 2016
I'm having some very irritating problems trying to restart my 88 gt. Initial starting is great, 1\2 crank and car starts fine and runs great, problem is when I turn it off and try to restart the engine, some times it will start or it might try on first crank but usually doesn't start, after that all it does is crank, it smells like its flooded. Some times I can hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank and it will start.The plugs are firing, no back fires, if I pull the [plugs they look wet. If it sits overnight it starts in morning.
It's a 306, x cam, edelbrock intake, 70mm bbk tb, no egr, new plugs set at .054, new coil, maf, timings good, 24# inj., 35# fuel press., new plug wires.
When the car starts it runs great has great power.
where do I look next?
Thanks
Ron

• Sponsors (?)

You'll have to run the codes to confirm what sensor is contributing to the no start hot condition. Could be ACT could be ECT. Either way a quick code read will tell you.

Next time it does this, hold pedal to the floor. This signals to the ECU to not fire the injectors for flood clear. Start the car with pedal down. If it fires up it confirms above condition possibilities.

If not, possible distributor issue

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/