Head swap: easier than 4.6?

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
I'm considering selling my 4.6 and buying a 94/95 5.0.

Is a 5.0 head swap easier to do than the PI head swap for the 96-98 4.6?

I bet the heads/cam cost a whole lot less than the ones for the 4.6.

Can it be done in 8 hours?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, it can be done in less than 8 hours if you know what you're doing and don't run into anything strange. IMO is rather easy, just take your time and do it right, don't cut any corners.

I agree on both. Cheaper, easier. Can definately be done in 8 hours if you prepare. Very easy with aluminum heads. The heads are lighter and physically easier to put on. There are 15 or so sets of heads to chose from, so have fun picking some.

Although, a turbo kit on that 4.6 would be a fun car!

Seems like a lot of trouble and money to go through just to save a little time on a head swap. Sure a cam swap in a 5.0 is cheaper and easier, but how much do you really think you're saving yourself in the long run. You'll still be left with an older car and end up with nearly the same horsepower in the end.

I'd stick with what you got and build the mod motor if I were you. If you wanna build a pushrod engine, build it on the side and save the drop in for a later date.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Seems like a lot of trouble and money to go through just to save a little time on a head swap. Sure a cam swap in a 5.0 is cheaper and easier, but how much do you really think you're saving yourself in the long run. You'll still be left with an older car and end up with nearly the same horsepower in the end.

I'd stick with what you got and build the mod motor if I were you. If you wanna build a pushrod engine, build it on the side and save the drop in for a later date.
The idea is that all performance parts for the 5.0 are a whole lot less expensive than the equivalent parts for the 4.6. Not just stuff for the head swap, everything. Plus, there is a much larger range of options.

Since I am going to stay NA, the 4.6's suitability for being supercharged is not an issue. You can get a lot more out of a NA 302 for your money than you can from a NA 4.6 for the same money.

Yeah, I can agree with you on the cost factor if you're starting from scratch, with no car, but you've already come so far with the 4.6. I still think that you can build a pretty healthy N/A combo with a 4.6L with comparable money. Yeah, you can build a 302 to push some big numbers, but there's a point where street driveability will be compromised. A 400hp N/A 302 sounds good on paper, but it's not much of a street engine.

I think when all is said and done, switching to an earlier car, and starting from scratch with a stock 302 isn't going to save you any money, or give you any considerable performance advantage. It's all up to you dude, just don't be under the impression that you're on a dead end path by sticking with the 4.6