Head upgrade and loss of power (big time)

Boss 351

Here sthhhhhhhheeeve take a picthh of my man flowe
Jul 13, 2003
Canada
Well I put these C9 heads which have 1.94/1.6 stainless valves, dual valve springs, stage 2 port job, machined for stud mount rockers, etc... I combine that with hardended pushrods, guideplates, and 1.6 roller rockers. I've seen the Mustang which had these heads prior in action and it was a fast car.

I ran my car a little with loose adjustment, rockers rattling and it felt stronger - maybe it was me. Yesterday I properly adjusted the rockers (even using a dial gauge) and the car runs great, no noises, runs smooth and everything BUT the damn thing feels slower than my Hyundai Accent. :notnice:

I think the problem is because of my cam, I still have the stock cam which is, what, .444 of lift on heads with springs that are meant for much MUCH more lift. I figure the engine is wasting power with those springs and my stock cam doesn't open the valves enough to get the power back (if I make sense). I have other bottlenecks such as my stock MAF and TB.

The bottom end is a stock 5.0L but freshened up, I have a new Cobra intake, headers and off-road X-pipe.

What I want to do now is get NEW aluminum heads (Trickflow or AFR), and a good cam for that combo, maybe even a custom cam. That way EVERYTHING will be new. Oh and new TB and MAF of course...

I'm taking the Mustang off the road for the summer :bang: So I have the cash to fix her up correctly, I'm tired of using used parts and such for this... Maybe I'll put the stock heads and intake on the engine until I have the whole combo, at least I'll be able to move the car around if needed - I hate pushing my cars.

• Sponsors (?)

Do the obvious tune and test stuff before spending any more money on the car.

Compression test.
Vacuum test - 18"-20" at idle with a stock cam.
Dump the codes.
Cylinder balance test.

To set stud mount rockers, follow the following procedure. Start the car and get the engine warm if possible. Then shut it off and pull both valve covers off and start the engine. Then back each valve adjustment off until the valve clatters. Then tighten down until it stops clattering and SLOWLY turn 3/4 tun more and set the lock, if it has one. Repeat the process until you have done all the valves.

You will have a big mess to clean up because oil will squirt everywhere, but the valves will be set precisely where they should be. Don't do it in your drive or on the lawn, the oil will make a mess.

To set stud mount rockers, follow the following procedure. Start the car and get the engine warm if possible. Then shut it off and pull both valve covers off and start the engine. Then back each valve adjustment off until the valve clatters. Then tighten down until it stops clattering and SLOWLY turn 3/4 tun more and set the lock, if it has one. Repeat the process until you have done all the valves.

You will have a big mess to clean up because oil will squirt everywhere, but the valves will be set precisely where they should be. Don't do it in your drive or on the lawn, the oil will make a mess.

Go to any parts store and get the keeper's,caps,whatever ya wanna call it to put on them so the oil dont go everywhere! Prob set you back $20.00 well here in tha states it will :flag: :canada: peace

john:p

Thanks guys, they are adjusted properly, I tried again - this time making a mess. I put some cardboard under the car, the worst was the burning oil from the headers lol

Anyway it's still the same. It doesn't matter though, I want a better setup anyway.