Head Upgrade, what else?

myponyrocks

I have more billet on the Stang than most women ha
Apr 18, 2004
Ok shortly I will be adding Cams, most likely the HPS intake, and I'm fairly certain MPH heads.

I might not do the heads and go for a built shortblock instead and use my factory heads with upgraded cams.... but if I were to do the headswap on the current engine, is there anything I should replace while the heads are off?

Currently the car has about 60k miles, full bolt ons, and lots of high RPM life. It will remain a daily driver, N/A, and the goal is 300-350 RWHP

• Sponsors (?)

There is a huge difference between 300 and 350rwhp . Id give tim a call and see what he can do for you. Be ready to spend the coin though if you after the 350. I'd suggest a built 12.1:1 compression longblock with ported heads, aggresive cams and a p51 intake to start with.

Lets assume the goal is closer to the 300 RWHP N/A mark, and lets also assume that this car will not see boost nor nitrous ever.

(That's what my 05+ build will be for)

*EDIT* FYI I will be calling Tim when it comes time to purchase, they have never led me astray, I'm just trying to create my budget for the uprgrades.

get some stage 1 or stage 2 cams and some longtubes and call it a day. You want only 15-20 more rwhp than that and it'll be another $2k
No one wants a dyno queen anyways, the number 300 isnt magical the difference between 280rwhp and 300rwhp is some ET streets

its pretty easy to hit 300rwhp, even with the stock compression. Many years ago, 300rwhp was rare. Now, its not. Quite a few cars at the Depot are turning 300rwhp with the stock compression. Have the heads ported, oversized valves, and a nice set of cams and headers put on, and you should be there with a tune. Keep us updated!

I'm ready to drop 5 grand on parts and 2-3k on labor, but lets not start the "just get blown" talk. ;)

Winters, I've got headers (well maybe some of you won't accept T/Ls as headers, but I have em on). The reasons this build will be remaining N/A and for the shorties is my Military status, moving around alot ya never know what screwey state/country you will end up in, the car has to remain emissions legal in most states.

just go with a supercharger and dont look back

Just read through a whole thread and don't look back :D

You're talking to a guy who has spent more money on swapping tail lights and billet than the average Stang owner could dream of spending on a budget blown system :p

Myponyrocks,

thank you for your service to our country.....

You wont get there with shorties and stock compression. However, if you have that kind of money lying around, I would strongly suggest going with the LT's, no matter where you move. Emmisions can be passed by a simple hand shake and 40 bucks if you talk to some people.

Myponyrocks,

thank you for your service to our country.....

You wont get there with shorties and stock compression. However, if you have that kind of money lying around, I would strongly suggest going with the LT's, no matter where you move. Emmisions can be passed by a simple hand shake and 40 bucks if you talk to some people.

not in my state you wont emissions that way. But there are a few carb legal super charger set ups, many most people run regardless of smog. I bet it'd be harder to pass a 315rwhp n/a car than a 415rwhp supercharged car.

look, guys, seriously... please respond to the orig. topic or not at all. I know that S/C cars can and will pass most emissions (thus why my 05+ build will be S/C). I also know that LTs will usually pass, but I'm not taking the chance.

This car is my fun car, the next one will be my track car.

So seriously, is there anything I should look into replacing (for power or reliablitly issues) in the stock motor with 60k miles while the heads are off.

If it has seen, and will continue to see high RPMs I might think about having the valve seals replaced. And since they're apart might as well do a little P&P and put in oversize valves. If you're upgrading the cam, and again with the high RPMs, I'd also do new valve springs.

the valve springs are a must, since I'll be doing stage II cams or Tims custom equivalent.

I dunno if I'd want to do any P&P, but it's always an option.

the seals I will be adding to my list, thank you.

Definitely port the heads while you have them off doing the cams, and have the valve seats done as well. With ported heads and better cams, and all the bolt on's you should be there. You didnt mention if you have a tuner or are going to have it dyno tuned? I can respect a N/A car. So many times I have wanted to boost mine with a KB, or turbo, but the sleeper will get you every time. I would love to drop some weight and keep mine N/A, but then I should just buy a fox again and forget about it.

you wont get there with stock compression and no LT's, its just not gonna happen. Good luck though.

Won't get to 300?

Saw a car similar to mine, with no UDPs but had stage 2 Cams and a mail order tune at 298. I'm going a bit further and will most likely get a local Dyno tune or Tims snail mail Tune. I would think I'd hit 300 at least? The 350 range is if I got with a shortblock as well. I didn't think my expectations were that high?

Won't get to 300?

Saw a car similar to mine, with no UDPs but had stage 2 Cams and a mail order tune at 298. I'm going a bit further and will most likely get a local Dyno tune or Tims snail mail Tune. I would think I'd hit 300 at least? The 350 range is if I got with a shortblock as well. I didn't think my expectations were that high?

I dont think so, but best of luck.