Headlights? - An Other Stuff that's [not] Headlights

firstride93lx

Jan 18, 2020
Georgia
I just bought a 93 LX today (first mustang) and I am in dire need of a good supplier of quality replacement parts. If anyone has suggestions for a website or a brand name I should look into I would really appreciate it. I do want quality replacements at a fair price I would like to stay away from the cheap Chinese remakes if possible. I will be needing several different things over the course of completing this build but at the moment I am needing the following. Headlights, weather striping, "rocker covers"? (grey plastic trim inside the car above the rocker), sun roof "seal"?, 5 lug conversion, cobra R's (possibly a used set with tires), center console lid, wiper motor cover/hood cowling, and a few other odds and ends. If anyone has any idea where I can get a quality OEM used replacement for some of these items or point me to a supplier that sells quality aftermarket stuff that would be GREAT! I am not new to cars but this is my first mustang EVER so any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for any advice/information that anyone has to offer! I am looking forward to my time here and building this fox body! Thanks again! P.S. I own a fully equipped shop in the middle Georgia area if I can assist anyone in that regard I have lifts and open bays all the time just let me know!

• Sponsors (?)

Headlights are all the same. Cheap Chinese junk. Really these days, you are better off restoring OEM parts or tracking down NOS parts.

Just go to Late Model Restoration and buy their basic headlight kit. Best you’ll get and they still condense on s rainy day.

NOS lights pop up on eBay but tough to find all 6 pieces. I have 5 out of 6 in boxes and have been searching two years for the final NOs in box light.

As forthe other items you seek, Daniel Carpenter Restoration makes a lot of it. Reproduction on Ford tooling

When deciding on headlights, there are many choices and many aftermarket designs with the "appearance" being the selling point. Most of these appearance oriented aftermarket designs to not cast light onto the roadway properly. If you expect the headlights to work properly so you can see good while driving at night, I strongly recommend you choose factory style fluted lens headlight assemblies.

I will definitely keep that in mind I am torn between putting this car back original or modifying to my liking now. We got it in the shop, and up on the lift last night and the more I look at the car the better it is. I really hate to tear this one apart and modify it at all considering its condition.

I am guessing a 5 lug conversion and sub frame connectors would not be a good idea. Those can be removed but is there anything in the mustang world that is considered a true upgrade that would not devalue the car?

Unless it’s a 7 mile 1993 Cobra R, mod away.

Subbranes are considered essential by most. As for 5-lug conversion, it’s a desireAble mod by most, and there are multiple ways to do it. 5-lug conversion rotors can easily be undone, but a sn95 cobra swap can give you performance and make the car more desirable to those ok with modded clean cars

Awesome information guys I really appreciate it! How does the mustang world feel about lowering cars? I in no way shape or form have any interest in "slamming the car on the ground or any such thing close to it however, all but one of the shocks are leaking and will need replacing. I was thinking of maybe dropping a inch or so just for a slightly better stance/look. How does this community view that aspect? Does anyone have any suggestions on a brand/kit that would give a quality option to accomplish this at a fair price? Thanks again!

I am looking through the headlight options pretty much everywhere and all of them seem "meh" I don't know I just haven't seen any that look good to me. I have seen some pictures on this site of some that are obviously not original headlights that do look good. Which headlights are you guys running?

Look, acceptable mods are like a 'in the eye of the beholder' thing.
I would say as long as you don't install a six foot tall 'towel rack' wing on the back and 'euro' taillights you won't get too much flack around here.
Oh, I have stock type headlights.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the small square piece is called located in front of the front tires? It is approximately 8.5 inches wide by 9 inches tall the same color as the car and is located under the trim/molding line. It is located between where the front bumper cover stops and the front of the front tire. It is almost a square but it is tapered towards the bottom of the car slightly. I am not sure if all mustangs have these pieces but it has one on both sides of my 93 LX. I need to replace the one on the drivers side because it is cracked and part of it is missing.

If I had to do it again I would get the three piece set. When I got mine , before I knew anything. Never even knew forums , and I took the easy ,and cheap one piece headlights . I like them but their not time period. Of coarse I threw away all the guts. My car would look much better three piece. KIMG0078.JPG

I think the technical name for them are spats, not sure but I call them lower fender trim.
There are also two sizes because in 91 ( I think) the pony wheel came out that is 16" so the wheel opening was changed.
87-90 then 91-93

Does anyone know what the small square piece is called located in front of the front tires? It is approximately 8.5 inches wide by 9 inches tall the same color as the car and is located under the trim/molding line. It is located between where the front bumper cover stops and the front of the front tire. It is almost a square but it is tapered towards the bottom of the car slightly. I am not sure if all mustangs have these pieces but it has one on both sides of my 93 LX. I need to replace the one on the drivers side because it is cracked and part of it is missing.

Awesome information guys I really appreciate it! How does the mustang world feel about lowering cars? I in no way shape or form have any interest in "slamming the car on the ground or any such thing close to it however, all but one of the shocks are leaking and will need replacing. I was thinking of maybe dropping a inch or so just for a slightly better stance/look. How does this community view that aspect? Does anyone have any suggestions on a brand/kit that would give a quality option to accomplish this at a fair price? Thanks again!
Anything you do to stiffen the unibody structure is worthwhile. See my sig for mods.
Progressive springs dropped about 1 inch. Small diameter wheel/tire dropped about 1/2 inch.

My contribution to your project with help from lots of people. It will save you money from ordering stuff that doesn't work. Sounds like a good project for ya. There's pretty much nothing about a Fox that you can't learn about or get help with on this site. Post pics when ya can. We love em!
Welcome to Stangnet!

Reactions: 1 user