Heads Size & Displacement Talk

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think they make a cylinder head that is to large for a 363 sbf. It is kind of like saying that you should only use a 600 cfm carb on a 302 because anything larger is to big. It just ain't so. It is all about the combo. Look at the Boss 302, it had 2.25" intake and 1.75" exhaust valves and they worked just fine.

Gotcha, yes I'm not extremely well versed in heads above 205. So i wasn't sure it there wss a general area before the intake/exhaust parameters are delt with to "step up" . Similar to the "step up" paramaters for the 302/205 head.

I know, I was reading a thread on corral from 2005 and I thought about Nik. It involves the big head/small cam movement. All the BIG cam guys were duking it out, it did get a little over the top but there were GREAT ideas and possibilities to try etc, even member @FastDriver was on there poking around too, maybe more others users too with other names, not sure, but lotta' info on things I'm not that familar with. Buuuuuut I feel lke I gained info on all of it. Buddy, Jay, Ed and even Tmoss got in to ask Jay and Buddy about a similar type set up. However from what I've learned, it seemed Tmoss would need more lift and keep his compression up high and it would work.
THIS info is where I was going after a better understanding of head size, ...I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So I'm gonna' go look at the custom cam thread now and see if I can spot something out, obviously Nik is there but not sure if others not knowingly know about there valve timing events.

I will say this, one man was very passionate in his vision and it did work then and it looks like he was right, two ways to skin the cat I guess.

Reactions: 1 user
That's from when I still thought about this kinda stuff every day. I learned quite a bit conceptually from that old thread about valve events, cam timing, and large vs. small heads. Interestingly, back then big heads seemed like the way to go to me.