Heat Deterant/Shield!!!

Silver05GT

May 9, 2005
Well I think Im going to drill holes up into the bottom of the body to run my side exhaust up into the body and then to run it out the side behind the door through two tips like the GT-R concept but I want to wrap all the tubing inside the cab with heat shield type stuff and then I want to put heat type stuff on all the panels around the tubing to ensure that it wont be an issue. Please if anyone has any ideas please let me know Im not sure where to buy the heat shield stuff or what type to use etc.

Thanks John

• Sponsors (?)

be careful... I don't know where exactly you are planning on cutting through, but the rockers are a major structural element in a unibody car. Cutting through them might significantly weaken the structure.

Also, I don't know if it's a consideration for you, but such a major body mod might also seriously negatively affect the resale value of the car.

Just my 2 cents. Your car, your choices.

Cheers,
Kent

I was going to cut up through the floors and then into the open area behind the interior panels and then run it out the car. I was thinking I should be fine as long as I wrap all the tubing in heat shield type stuff and then lay heat protectant material on all surrounding sheet metal. My reason for doing so is I already have my exhaust running out the side but its really low even though its tucked right under the rocker panel and because of this its scrapes everytime I go over a speed bump or extreme driveway so If it were to come out where the GT-R's comes out I could lower my car an inch and get it looking sick.

Thanks John

WOW John you really want side exhaust. While I don't recommend cutting your car there is an alternative. Back in the day guys used to install "outsiders" on the car. They mounted just below the rocker panel and ran from the front wheel to the rear wheel. They had a heat shield so your or your passangers wouldn't get burnt getting in or out. I haven't seen any on a car in years but I'm sure you should be able to find/make a set. Good Luck

Silver05GT said:
I was going to cut up through the floors and then into the open area behind the interior panels and then run it out the car. I was thinking I should be fine as long as I wrap all the tubing in heat shield type stuff and then lay heat protectant material on all surrounding sheet metal. My reason for doing so is I already have my exhaust running out the side but its really low even though its tucked right under the rocker panel and because of this its scrapes everytime I go over a speed bump or extreme driveway so If it were to come out where the GT-R's comes out I could lower my car an inch and get it looking sick.

Thanks John
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

make sure you run it inside of the car so you will get the full effect of the exhaust gas to you head! Maybe take the exhaust right off the headers and come straight back into the firewall so you only have to open your windows so everyone will hear your side exhaust!!

The exhaust is run outside the car for a very good reason but I think you should run yours inside like you want so I can read a good Darwin award that you will win!

Another large issue to consider... Fireproofing since you would be running exhaust through your interior.

While I think this is about the dumbest thing I've read about someone doing to their brand new Mustang more power to you if you can come up with a way to complete this.

Your rear seats will also now be unuseable and you will be reducing the structural integrity of the vehicle without adding in a roll cage.

The resell value of the vehicle will fall and you will most likely upon up quite a few points for corrosion to begin.

Side exhaust is cool when developed correctly but I think you have gone about it wrong since getting them put in place. Lowering your ride with side exhaust is also a no no on this car.

Good luck hacking this thing up. If I were you I would just cut the exhaust ahead oh the axle and place tunable mufflers on the end and call it a day.

If you really want to do this dont even bother asking on a general discussion forum, go visit your local body and exhaust shop for answers. It would be unlike anything they've ever heard before.

-Dan

Ok for starters i believe i asked where and what type of heat deterant to get but anyways went to the bodyshop and it would be possible with some work so instead what Im going to do is just run the eleanor side skirt like I originally planned and then also just an observation you guys worry way too much about resale value how can you have any fun with a true muscle car if you keep it stock and worry about the resale value Im building my car for me not the next owner of it but whatever.

John

You must understand that when somebody asks a question like yours there are going to be more answers than you even wanted. I think that we all thought that you were getting in over your head and didnt think to far into what you were even planning.

BTW, for the love of anything holy in the English language, please use "commas" and "periods" more, perhaps paragraphs are in order. It is just an internet forum but my eyes hurt now.

-Dan