Heater core keeps going out in car help

1990StangGT

Founding Member
Jul 1, 2002
Whiteman AFB
Ok I just replaced my 4th heater core in 1 year. Now the last mechanic i took it to told me the reason was of rapping the car out to far and fast. He said thats what was casuing them to go bad. Does this sound right? I didnt think so just becasue the fact they had to cover it. and said they wont next time.

• Sponsors (?)

1990StangGT said:
Ok I just replaced my 4th heater core in 1 year. Now the last mechanic i took it to told me the reason was of rapping the car out to far and fast. He said thats what was casuing them to go bad. Does this sound right? I didnt think so just becasue the fact they had to cover it. and said they wont next time.

What year car?

Speed doesnt matter in a heater core .Unless you are doing it for long periods.On the older stangs they use to offer a restrictor for the heater core to stop this issue.

Its a 99 Gt 35th anv. I didnt think that sounded right, but yea thats what they told me they would not cover it agian becasue i was rapping my car out too high. Well I still have the stock rev limiter so I could'nt of been. And can i get one of those restictors for my year? In case it does go out once agian?

heater core

Had the same problem with my car.Went through 5 in a year and a half.
They finaly fixed the problem by grounding the core directly to chassis,apparently there was some electrolosis going on.Also make sure they are using distilled water when refilling radiator. :flag:

1990StangGT said:

Technical Service Bulletin (Ford Motor Company)
01-15-06
CLIMATE CONTROL - REPEAT HEATER CORE FAILURE
COOLING SYSTEM - REPEAT HEATER CORE FAILURE

Tell your Ford Dealership that this is TSB #01-15-06. Tell them that Ford knew this was an ongoing problem with our vehicles, and tell them they'll replace them from now to kingdom come if they keep going out on you. They have no choice in the matter. He'll probably ask you how you know about this, tell him that it doesn't matter, you just do. This is a weapon you can use against them, and they'll be owned by you. :nice: