HEAVY clutch

Mustangmekanic2

New Member
Oct 1, 2007
4
0
1
MA
I have a pretty mild 94 GT vert. I installed a Ram HDX clutch, and stock replacement flywheel, along with an aluminum quadrant, cable, and firewall adjuster from BBK. From the first second I put the damn thing back together the clutch pedal was wicked heavy, and the clutch slipped a little. Now, a few months later, the clutch slips (smelly) like a bastard at the track and on the street. What could I have done wrong? Any help would be great, I dont want to pull the tranny again w/o info.
 
Look into the cable. If a cable is too stretched out, the pedal can get incredibly heavy. Also, I believe if the cable is incorrectly setup, it can cause slippage - I'm sure someone will chime in with more input though. :nice:
 
Jeff's got some good thoughts there.

Where is the point of engagement? If near the top, that can lead to slippage.

Too tight of a loop in the cable can create the tough pedal effort he mentioned.

Is the cable centered in the hole in the firewall? If it's off to a side (bad quadrant alignment), that can cause a brutal pedal.

What kind of mods are done to the car? Is the crankcase evacuation system adequate? If not, the RMS often starts passing oil, which contaminates the friction surfaces.
 
If the cable is too tight it will cause the clutch to slip. I would go under there and take a look at the fork. You should be able to wiggle the clutch fork with out any effort.

Kurt