HEI or CD Ignition?????

Hey guys, I'm going to be replacing my old points ignition with something new and I'm looking for input on wich to get. I'm thinking of either the MSD 6 system or the Pertronix HEI distributor.

What are the pros and cons of each?? Anyone have any experience with either?

Right now I'm leaning more towards the Pertronix since it's less expensive and simpler.

The car this is going in is a '68 coupe with an '88 5.0 mildly modd'd and cam'd. Drive it alot, not everydaybut a lot, so I want something good and reliable.

Any help??? or just input

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Pertronix unit. I am pleased with it but would go with the other type if doing over. THe unit works well and if you get it make sure that you find a true 12V feed for it eliminating the resistor wire.

The reason I would change is for room. The HEI is big and tall. The curved Monte Carlo bar still fits.

I think the other may be more expensive when it is all ther and needs space in other places. It may be a toss up.

I hear both make a great improvement, I know the Pertronix is well worth the money.

Why not just replace the points in the distributor with an electronic module? That and a good hotter coil, and premium wires will give you more for your money. Simple install too. This is what I run in mine. Pertronix II, Mallory Promaster coil, small to large cap adapter, large EFI post cap, Ford 9mm wires.

I need a new distributor anyway since the advance mechanism in my current one is mangled... Right now I can't get above 3500 rpm because my timing starts breaking up.

So the HEI Pertronix is BIG? What does it get in the way of? And yeah, the MSD system is more expensive, but is it worth the extra money??

Why not just replace the points in the distributor with an electronic module? That and a good hotter coil, and premium wires will give you more for your money. Simple install too. This is what I run in mine. Pertronix II, Mallory Promaster coil, small to large cap adapter, large EFI post cap, Ford 9mm wires.

+1, a simple and cheap upgrade. Its not hard to fix your advance problem with a couple replacement parts.

I ran an HEI (DUI) for a while and it worked well. In order to have good clearance to rotate the dizzy, I had to clearance the #1 runner on the manifold just a bit. It is simple and makes for a neat installation. Later I went to a Crane optical and Jacobs ignition for the multispark effect. It smoothed out my low RPMs a bit. If you have a mild/moderate cam, it might not make any difference, though (i.e., multispark vs. HEI).

You don't have to run a HEI style distributor to run HEI ignition, but you will need to change to a VR sensor type distributor and external HEI module.

HEI isn't that great anyway, it's not worth the effort.

I have an old MARK 8 CD (capacitive Discharge) ignition box that will allow you to convert your points distributor (or electronic) to a CD system. Basically the points just send a signal to the box and the box controlls the coil. Its a neat system because it allows you to use CD ignition but still keeps it a simple setup/install. Also, since there is no longer nearly the load on the points, the points won't wear out or require adjustment. Since I converted to megasquirt, I can't use it anymore. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll sell it to you for very cheap (less than a pertronix unit).

I need a new distributor anyway since the advance mechanism in my current one is mangled... Right now I can't get above 3500 rpm because my timing starts breaking up.

So the HEI Pertronix is BIG? What does it get in the way of? And yeah, the MSD system is more expensive, but is it worth the extra money??

I bought a fresh rebuilt points distributor last week for $50(Advance Auto Parts), combine that with a $65 Pertronix unit, and a $30 coil and you've got electronic ignition with a two wire hook up for $145. And it'll work damn near as close to an MSD as you can get. Even a Duraspark unit works as good as MSD's $400+ system. There are LOTS of lower cost options than either the Davis HEI or MSD's setup. The difference in performance with a stock to mild motor build is just not worth the $400+ price of these systems.

I got the OEM HEI set up on both cars with no issues (other than the Chevy guys pointing out that its not a Ford part). You plug one wire and your done. The biggest plus is parts avalibility. Say you breakdown on the way to the car show in some small town out in the middle of no where. You discover a bad ignition module, coil, rotor or cap which requires a new one to get you back on the road again. You can walk in any parts store and they will have all the above parts in stock for low $$$$. If your pretronix or MSD module, rotor or cap goes south where will you get a new one on a weekend? Just something to think about........I have a Ford Blue cap.

How about playing with advancing the advance curve?