Hello Mustang Folks!

mmm635

Feb 5, 2004
This is my first time posting to the board after I have been surfing it ever since I have been to the Auto Show in Detroit. I have read mixed opinions about the 2005 GT and would have to say that it is an awesome vehicle for the money. Granted, it does not look like the earlier concept car but it is still pretty damn nice inside and out for under 30K. After seeing numerous photos in the past, I considered this car for purchase along with other cars (mainly M3, RX8, 350Z).

When I was at the autoshow the Mustang GT was one of the last cars I looked at along with the Ford GT (SWEET!!). This may sound crazy but I think it was the most fascinating car (reasonable) at the show. Sure, there were many cars that had more power, nicer design in some respects, build quality, and flash. All of these things come at a high cost! The Mustang GT was impressive because it embodied all of these aspects, and then some, at a reasonable cost. I was looking at the BMW's, Ferraris, Lambos, Maserati's, Audi's, etc., but the Mustang was pretty damn impressive in its own right!

I have owned many BMW's (sweet handling), Supra, Audi S4, and loved all of them. I have been considering the new M3 for the last few months until I saw the Mustang in person. I know, you really cannot compare the two side by side. The Mustang is half the price and and has a V8. I really cannot compare the handling between the two until I actually drive the Mustang GT in the future (this goes for build quality as well-different assembly plant). I have missed the sound and torque of an American V8 with the rear wheel drive since high school. Also, the fact that Ford has studied the design of the M3 suspension and applied some of the ideas to the new setup leads me to believe the GT will handle pretty good.

As much of a BMW fan I am, my wife could not believe I came from the auto show and told her the Mustang GT will be my next car.

I hope to have some good discussions with you guys/gals as I will try to be an active member on this board.

Michel

• Sponsors (?)

Hi, Michel. Have you ever owned a Mustang? The reason I ask is I believe the new design is good enough, value-wise and looks-wise, to attract those who have not previously owned a Mustang.

I've owned two Mustangs, a '67 six cylinder and a '96 GT. The '05 is calling me back.

I Am Also Looking Foward To Driving The New 05 Stang. Absolutley Love The Styling But Am Not So Sure About The New Powerplant. Have Driven The New 04 F-150 With The 3 Valve 5.4l Was Not Impressed Actually Think Old 2valve Was Faster. Hopefully The Mustang Will Not Have This Problem.both These New Engines Hav The Fly By Wire Throttle Control Where There Is No Throttle Cable Pedal Has A Position Sensor And Throttle Body As An Actuator Motor. This Will Be Interesting To See How The Aftermarket Builds Performance Parts For This New Engine. I Hope It Doesnt Take As Long As It Did When The 4.6l Was Introduced

Smokin 04

I have never owned a Mustang

JJZ109 said:
Hi, Michel. Have you ever owned a Mustang? The reason I ask is I believe the new design is good enough, value-wise and looks-wise, to attract those who have not previously owned a Mustang.

I've owned two Mustangs, a '67 six cylinder and a '96 GT. The '05 is calling me back.

I have owned a couple of Fords in the past, but never a Mustang. I loved the inline six in my Supra and many BMW's i have owned, but there is no substitute for the sound and torque a V8 has. I am a stickler when it comes to fit and finish and overall quality of materials in a car. This is why I have been attracted to the BMW's, Audi's, and Toyota's. I think the new Mustang will have a sweet interior as far as materials, design, and ergonomics are concerned. Not that the current Mustang is bad, but the 2005 model will be at a much higher level to compete with the imports. This is why I have considered the Mustang.

From reading various articles about the corvette, Chevrolet set out to improve the materials and design of the interior and exterior. This is why they did not place as much importance on adding more power than they did. They wanted to refine the car in order to compete with the quality of the imports in that price range. Whether Chevy was successful with this I am not so sure. The Mustang interior/exterior design materials and execution seems to be at a much higher level than the corvette. I personally do not like the "plasticy" interior of the vette. Performance is one aspect of a car, the atmosphere, space, ergonomics, sensory input is another. Technology is so advanced that cars should possess these qualities in this price range.

I have owned many imports in the last few years and have done so because I wanted the best value for the buck (qualities listed above). The new Mustang, from what I have seen, will accomplish this. My uncle works for Ford and has always respected my outlook on what a car should deliver for the money. When I told him I am buying a Mustang he was proud and happy as he11. He was really excited when my brother told him he was on the list to get the new Ford GT (Lucky SOB!). The Ford GT, hands down, is a bada$$ machine-a work of art. I think I will have the sweet opportunity to drive it in the future on the street and on the track.

Michel

I'm glad to hear you say you like the new interior so much. The old interior just plain sucks. IMO. I want to buy a car once I graduate in May and the two cars I'm considering are the 05 mustang gt and a 2001 M3. If the M3 doesn't drop to about $30000 I won't be considering it anymore though.

The 2005 Mustang has an excellent quality interior. I heard that Mazda is the supplier for the brand new redesigned interior for the 2005 Mustang. That's why it's of higher quality. The 2005 Mustang is going to be built in the Mazda plant where they also build the Mazda6 vehicles. I think that Mazda has a lot to do with which materials Ford is going to use to build the 2005 Mustang.

Ron Jeremy said:
The 2005 Mustang has an excellent quality interior. I heard that Mazda is the supplier for the brand new redesigned interior for the 2005 Mustang. That's why it's of higher quality. The 2005 Mustang is going to be built in the Mazda plant where they also build the Mazda6 vehicles. I think that Mazda has a lot to do with which materials Ford is going to use to build the 2005 Mustang.

The mustang will be built at a joint ford-mazda plant in flat rock MI. As for Mazda bring the interior supplier, This would be the first time I've heard of it. The interior in the mustang looks like it shares parts with ford vehicles, not mazda. The Radio/climate controls in the center stack are definitlely out of ford vehicles and the vents look identical to the new F150. If the F150 is any indication, The interior quality should be quite good.

Likely they are using the same stateside subcontractor to do the interior components.

Mazda is reputed to have the tightest panel fits in the industry. Hopefully that will rub off on the '05.

Michel,
welcome to the boards. I too am excited about the 05. I especially want to see how the suspension will feel. I think Ford is on the right track with this one. I imagine there will be a big fanfare when the O5's at the dealers when they show up. It will be very nice indeed if Ford gets recognition for building a good performing and affordable car.

Doug

I've posted this several times before, but no one seemed to care about it. In my family there are 2 - 2002 Cougars. The last Cougar was made at AAI (Flat Rock). I have not been able to find a significant build defect on either one of those Cougars. They are about as perfectly built as any car that I've looked over, import or domestic.

I am very excited that the new Mustang will be assembled at Flat Rock. I read somewhere that Phil Marteens specifically chose the AAI plant to build the new Mustang because of the build quality and that he had to pull some strings within Ford to get the Mustang into AAI.

I think what people are refering to here is about how they are using the mazda plant to build it for quality interior. I remember reading that they are sharing components such as interior fasteners from the mazda 6 and other minor things. Just some little things that make the panels fit better, and thus reduce interior noise. Thats most likely where the confusion is here...

The 2005 has caught my eye, too. My first car was a '67 fastback, and after that I've owned a couple of other '67 fastbacks, a coupe, and even a '75. I basically gave up on getting a decent Mustang ('67) after that.

But seeing this new car has stirred up the fires inside once again, and now the fever rages! September won't come fast enough! There's something about this one that brings back memories of my first car... and that is addictive!

falchulk said:
Mazda is not the supplier of the interior. Its a result of Fords huge investment in interior R&D. I have not even seen that s a rumor before.
Really
Here is a pic of last years Mazda6.
Mazda6_interior_1B.jpg

Now here is a pic of the new Mustangs interior
2005-Mustang-GT-8.jpg

Look at the things like the vents for the climate ctrl etc. Some very similar interior parts used.

The 2005 Mustang interior looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better and much nicer than the Mazda6 interior.

I don't like the Mazda6, but I like the quality materials that they build Mazdas with. I know someone who owns a 95 Mazda Protoge. It's got over trouble-free 200,000 miles on it and it's still on the road without any problems. The new 2005 Mustang will be better built like the Mazda vehicles when they start building it at the Flat Rock plant.

Again, they probably use the same subcontractor. Auto companies don't waste their time on nickel and dime stuff like switches and vents. They buy them from people that do switches and vents. They are even moving to purchasing complete dash modules from suppliers.

Also, the switches in the center stack are similar, but they are not the same. There are also a number of cars out there using that style of vent now.

guys look no further than the lincoln ls, tbird, and f150 interiors.. They all coincide... Its ford not mazda. Remember mazda didn't have that great of an interior before the takeover and the headrests are from volvo